Mechanical Engineering 2010 Admissions

thinktank1985

Still waiting.

There is one more question: do you guys have any interviews from ME departments? I have no interview at all. That makes me really nervous.

For masters, you will only be interviewed if you request for funding.

Has anyone heard from MIT's ME department regarding PhD admissions? I've only heard silence...

nope...I tried emailing them two weeks back..but I didnt get any reply. I have almost given up hope...because most admits from MIT come in bunches and come before the beginning of March. Since there are already so many ME admits in the results section and very few people actually refuse an MIT admit...I doubt I have any chance.

nope...I tried emailing them two weeks back..but I didnt get any reply. I have almost given up hope...because most admits from MIT come in bunches and come before the beginning of March. Since there are already so many ME admits in the results section and very few people actually refuse an MIT admit...I doubt I have any chance.

However, there were very few admits from MIT Mech Dept. So I guess (hope) the official wave of decisions from this particular dept is yet to come.

Actually, the only admissions thus far for MIT MechE have been Master's candidates. AdComm is behind and Ph.D decisions are supposed to come out in early March (maybe this week?)

Fret not, you still have a chance!

I've just got an PhD admission from UIUC. But I was asked to search for funding myself from the faculty.

Is it normal at UIUC? Or it is an admission withoud funding (which is equal to a reject for me)?

Please advise!

/*+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++*/

At this time your admission to our graduate program does not include an offer of financial assistance directly from the department; however, it is our hope that you will be able to obtain a research assistantship based on individual faculty needs. Such an appointment�if you obtain it�would include a monthly stipend, a tuition waiver, and a partial fee waiver, along with other benefits. Since research assistantships are offered by individual faculty members, you should contact individual faculty if you are interested in such opportunities. By reviewing the departmental web site, you can identify faculty with active research in your areas of interest. The Graduate Programs Office will try to help you in whatever way we can.

/*+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++*/

I've just got the reply from Northwestern and UT Austin regarding to the date of decisions:

Northwestern :

The admissions committee is continuing to evaluate applications. Most applicants should have an admission decision by the end of March and no later than April 15, 2010. - Pat Dyess

UT Austin:

Your file is complete and is still out to our DS&C faculty for their review. We hope to have decisions finalized by the end of March, possibly sooner. - Prabhu P. Khalsa

JHU:

Thanks for your note. I expect that we will have results for most applicants in the next 10 days or so, though a select few may be placed on a waiting list. Those applicants will be notified of final decisions in mid-April.

Why the hell is the processing tooooooooooooooooooooo long?

Rejected from Princeton in that big MechE PhD rejection day (Feb15), accepted to Drexel MEM PhD with full funding (RA or TA, my choice). Still waiting on UPenn MEAM PhD which seems ridiculous to me, given that I applied a full month and a half in advance and the website says it is supposed to take 4-6 weeks to come to a departmental decision. Several people in the department have refused to talk with me about their research until I "get admitted to the program, then we can talk." Frustrating...

Rejected from Princeton in that big MechE PhD rejection day (Feb15), accepted to Drexel MEM PhD with full funding (RA or TA, my choice). Still waiting on UPenn MEAM PhD which seems ridiculous to me, given that I applied a full month and a half in advance and the website says it is supposed to take 4-6 weeks to come to a departmental decision. Several people in the department have refused to talk with me about their research until I "get admitted to the program, then we can talk." Frustrating...

Your situation is still much better than mine. I got admission to UIUC Mech, but asked to seek for advisor myself.

I started emailing a number of Profs a week ago, but got no reply. It's funny as fuck. They don't have funding to get new students. It's alright, not big a deal. Just reply me saying that. Why keeping silence.

If they dont give me a chance to get contacted, admit me for what the hell?

Your situation is still much better than mine. I got admission to UIUC Mech, but asked to seek for advisor myself.

I started emailing a number of Profs a week ago, but got no reply. It's funny as fuck. They don't have funding to get new students. It's alright, not big a deal. Just reply me saying that. Why keeping silence.

That sounds awful. I hope if I do hear positive news from UPenn that I can at least get in contact with them. Maybe you could call the department head and ask who to talk to - that might be better than spending all the effort and guesswork on advisors that don't have funding.

iCyborg,

I hear you! I also got admission to UIUC Mech, but asked to seek for a RA. I've emailed about 10 professors, but recieved only one reply- which stated she had no funding. Why are you admitting us if you have no funding for new students?

I also received the same offer (or lack of) from UIUC. I have sent out numerous emails and of the few that responded, one Professor was "interviewing candidates [for one position] over the next couple of weeks." O_O

On a different note, I randomly decided to sign in to my online application account for UC Davis (PhD ME/AE) and was greeted by a flattering letter of acceptance. The offer was made March 11, and I have not received ANY form of communication from Davis. Naturally, I started to ponder what-if scenarios and I am now fearing the possibility of a letter 'slipping through the cracks' between here and there. Any thoughts?

On a different note, I randomly decided to sign in to my online application account for UC Davis (PhD ME/AE) and was greeted by a flattering letter of acceptance. The offer was made March 11, and I have not received ANY form of communication from Davis. Naturally, I started to ponder what-if scenarios and I am now fearing the possibility of a letter 'slipping through the cracks' between here and there. Any thoughts?

Davis sends everything through the email. You should have gotten a notification about a decision on your application first. Check your online app account and make sure your email on there is correct. Also maybe your email thinks their messages are spam (not likely). Just call them. They might have sent you some other good stuff you missed out on.