Advice for Masters in Economics

Sabhya

HI

I am a resident of India currently applying Master in Economics programmes in USA and UK. 

Bachelor's degree from Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies, University of Delhi in Business Studies (3 year degree) : 78.33% overall. The degree involved a dissertation project as well. 

GRE scores : Verbal: 168, Quant: 164   IELTS: 8.5 

Please help me evaluate my chances of getting into one of the Top 30 universities 

Thanks in advance

Edited by Sabhya

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/20/2017 at 7:07 PM, Sabhya said:

HI

I am a resident of India currently applying Master in Economics programmes in USA and UK. 

Bachelor's degree from Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies, University of Delhi in Business Studies (3 year degree) : 78.33% overall. The degree involved a dissertation project as well. 

GRE scores : Verbal: 168, Quant: 164   IELTS: 8.5 

Please help me evaluate my chances of getting into one of the Top 30 universities 

Thanks in advance

Other than the GRE and IELTS scores other things matter too. According to BYJU's consultants, GRE has about a 30% weight-age on applications. IELTS is just a formality, nothing more. Other than these, you'll need a good CGPA scores, maybe blogs or published papers.

Best advice is to look up the school of Facebook or LinkedIn connect with their current student/alums and check out their profiles. Is there a vast difference? If yes, see how you can bridge that difference. Ask the students and alums about how you can bridge these, or talk to your current professors.

All the best!

P.S: Well done on the GRE scores. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Sabhya,

First of all congrats on the scores, those are very decent numbers.

Other than your scores, have you made any publications pertaining to economics? If so, that would greatly help your chances.

Studying in US or UK is very expensive, and obtaining a scholarship is hard. So if you don't have the required funds for your MS in Econ, you might have to rethink your strategy.

If you don't need a scholarship, I would definitely say you have a fair chance of getting through the top  30 universities. But other than ranking have you looked at the courses offered by these universities and found one that would fit you well? That is a very important criteria when looking for a university.

Getting into UK is pretty easy compared to the US.

Cheers :)

P.S: To have more answers, you'll have to have followers and follow more people.