To Submit, or Not Submit, My GRE Subject Scores

As I apply again for PhD programs, I am considering whether I should send my GRE subject scores to those "strongly recommended, but not required" schools. I took the test before my master's study (3 years ago) and, for many reasons, will not take it again. My question is should I even bother sending it to those strongly recommended schools? My score was perfectly mediocre: 580, 60-something percentile. Would an average score hurt me more than not submitting it at all?

Hi!

From my understanding (friends currently in PhDs, my application experiences, and internet-lurks), an "average" score is fine and is certainly not what will stop you from getting through the door. So, I'd send it - if nothing else, it demonstrates that you're willing to submit something the department strongly recommends submitting (I always envision that phrase as someone waggling their eyebrows while maintaining very strong eye contact.) 

FWIW, I'm submitting to any departments that mention accepting/recommending the subject test. That may or may not make you feel better, haha.