Employed By Agency OR Directly By Company

In the school districts, you guys probably know that SLPs are either employed directly by the school district OR one of those agencies that places them w/ their job.  I don't really understand the benefit of going through a "middleman" employment agency, does anyone else?  From what I know & heard, they don't pay as high as the district itself.

I'm trying to get employment for my CFY.  These agencies contacted me before & after I graduated from grad school.  I guess they get my #/email from the university??  I had an interview with one district who said once you sign a contract w/ an agency, they MAY have a clause stating you can never directly work for the district later on.  I don't like that at all.  The agency set up the interview, but I haven't signed any contract w/ that agency.  I prefer direct hire myself.

My main desire at this point in my life is part-time employment & w/ benefits.  That shouldn't be too much to ask.  What do all you other aspiring SLPs do out there?  :)

Part time and getting benefits might be tough but I'm full time so no experience there. I talked to EBS a couple times this year before graduation but looking on the Reddit slp threads made me hesitant to do contract. No guarantee you'll stay at the same school each year and you're assigned and moved at their discretion it seems. If you're looking at medical, then contract is typically the way to go. Most snfs have agencies. I ended up direct hire which is how my school district is. But that varies by location. 

I have been working with contracting agencies for the past two years and might be able to give you some insight based on my experience. It is difficult to compare rate vs. salary.  Rates vary based on agency as well as your ability to negotiate and self-advocate. Additionally, growth is not typically expected and rate cuts do happen. If you contract independently (working directly for the district) the rate might be higher depending on the state; however, you need your ccc's for independent contracting.

When working in schools the contracts are typically nine month unless otherwise specified (e.g., maternity leave). Summers are more of a challenge because traditional schools are on break. 

Contracting Pros: 

- can work in different settings and great for gathering experience on population and setting preference.

-flexibility in scheduling

-lower caseloads; possible to do 1-1 therapy

Contracting Cons:

-difficulty advocating for: appropriate work space, technology, materials, etc. 

-Instability in pay; will depends on caseload and setting

-poor supervision (I personally had a wonderful and supportive supervisor during my cf; typically this is not the case)

-poor to no medical coverage, sick leave, or vacation days. Usually they ask you to meet ridiculous hours for medical coverage. Typically, this is difficult to meet even for full time employees.... I am still waiting. 

-no prep time, paperwork time, or paid lunch breaks (again depends on agency but this is pretty common)

-working sessions back to back; if students miss sessions we are not compensated.

-often only slp in school setting

At this point in my career, I am itching to get away from contracting due to many challenges with this type of employment.

Edited by Nyc.slp.ccc00