I want to leave grad school

lnalex91

So here is the deal...

I went to grad school at the MA level because it was promoted as a continuation of the undergraduate program (professional writing). It was (is) promoted as being a program for people who basically want to work in industry, while the Phd level is more for those who want to take the academic route. However, the classes that would teach these skills have been cancelled (2 years in a row) and the classes that I have taken to satisfy requirements have all been geared towards people who want to be professors. 

I feel like I've been duped. I'm running short on time, money, and patience.

The classes that would give me the skills I want won't be offered again until after I've graduated. Oh, and I've just found out today after preparing to graduate next fall, that I'm actually missing credits that my advisor and I were not aware of, so I basically have a whole other year of course work. 

I don't see the point of staying because I'm not learning what I want and the things I'm learning are just not applicable to me because I'm hoping to work outside the academy. I've gotten halfway, but with working full-time now and trying to get through these classes that seem pointless for me, it just doesn't seem worth it anymore, especially since the classes that I want won't be offered for another 2 years.

I don't know what to do or how to do it.

I think the relevant question at this point is whether the degree itself will be helpful in getting you the job you want. Skills aside, I'm just asking about the official piece of paper. If the jobs you might want require an MA, there's something to be said for sticking it out. If not, and you're not learning what you want, then I'm less sure I see a reason to stay, especially if you're paying out of pocket. 

Independently, you might want to look into a way to replace the missing credits that would keep you an extra year with something else. Maybe there's some deal to be made; usually there can be some flexibility in these requirements.