to re-take, or not to re-take, that is the question

Nico Corr

Took the GRE once in the Spring, and got a Qualitative score of 158 and a really low quant score of 140 with Verbal 4. Most of the programs I am applying to have a Quant score range of between 150-155. I've been studying a bit, and planned on taking the test again to get these scores up with a retake in December, but I am already strapped for cash as it is with the holiday season upon us, and I really only have money to either pay application fees, or retake the test. I also learned one of the schools I am applying to is test optional now (which also happens to be my #1 choice), so I'm wondering if I should even bother retaking it. I am thinking of just applying this cycle with the scores I have, get good LoRs and write good SoPs and hope I get at least waitlisted. If anything else, I'll just wait to retake the test again in the spring to reapply in he fall for Spring 18. What should I do?