Help! I missed a reference on my submitted SoP

abenz

Hey!

Advice needed please! I have submitted my SoP for an application and have realised I mentioned an article which I have not referenced. On all my other statements I've made broad references to theorists (like, "in line with Foucault ..." etc) so haven't referenced any specific works, but on this one I mentioned a very specific author and summarised her work in the text. However I forgot to add an official reference at the end and I feel like I should have done.

Two questions:

1. Should I have referenced it and will this count against me? I'm really worried it will but also maybe they'll just ignore it as it's a summary of work rather than a formal essay?

2. If it will, will it count more against me if I email the graduate administrator and ask to switch my statement? I'm worried that could count more against me if they think I'm still changing my SoP.

Thanks,

Amelia 

1. I would not add references in an SOP in the first place. It's an essay about you, not a traditional paper. 

2. If you do choose to ask to swap SOPs, I highly doubt anyone will count it against you. You simply say "I noticed a typo, would you agree to replace the old version with the attached, newer one". They may say yes or no, but either way that should be the end of it.