Transferring grad schools

malmadur

For students who enter CS PhD programs that involve completing a master's degree, how common is it to transfer to a different school after getting the MS (or even before)? Is it harder to get accepted?

I'm not sure as to how often this happens, but the information that I've generally heard from various professors is that it's harder to get accepted with a Master's than right out of undergrad. Not sure why this is (or if it's even 100% true). That being said, if you go to a good program and do a lot of research during your MS, I'm sure you would be a strong candidate. Sorry I can't be of more help - good luck!

I'm not sure as to how often this happens, but the information that I've generally heard from various professors is that it's harder to get accepted with a Master's than right out of undergrad. Not sure why this is (or if it's even 100% true). That being said, if you go to a good program and do a lot of research during your MS, I'm sure you would be a strong candidate. Sorry I can't be of more help - good luck!

The students at the school I would like to pursue my PhD at received a MS prior to attending that school for a PhD. I probably came across only one student who went directly from undergrad into the PhD program. :huh:

The students at the school I would like to pursue my PhD at received a MS prior to attending that school for a PhD. I probably came across only one student who went directly from undergrad into the PhD program. :huh:

I also have my masters, and I've been accepted to some top 10 departments for next fall. It's very common for this to happen. I just wanted to stress that if you get your MS and don't do research (and possibly publish), admissions committees might see this as a problem.

I also have my masters, and I've been accepted to some top 10 departments for next fall. It's very common for this to happen. I just wanted to stress that if you get your MS and don't do research (and possibly publish), admissions committees might see this as a problem.

Ahh, okay. Thanks and that sure helps me. I need to start planning things to make myself a competitive candidate for Fall 2012.

Mr Roboto, did you specifically enter and complete a masters program or did you technically start a PhD program and leave with only a masters?

It appears as if the original poster is contemplating accepting a PhD offer, pretending to do a PhD for two years including the masters step along the way, then try to pull out and go to a different school for the remainder of the PhD. Is that correct?

I cannot speak for computer science, but within my discipline that would be considered extremely suspect and dishonest. Pretending to be doing a PhD then suddenly leaving will not really net you a very good recommendation from the person who thought they were supervising your continued research (Seriously, are you going to say nice things about someone who is clearly taking your money and using you to get into somewhere better?). Your willingness to insincerely take money from one school then run to another when you get a chance will not look good to school #2 anyway.

In my field, the masters-along-the-way requirement is there so that the department can kindly ask someone to leave if they don't appear to really be PhD material: the person leaves with a masters so not empty handed. It isn't really thought of as a point where you potentially go elsewhere. That is unless you are enrolled as a Masters student from the start.

Now I could be totally wrong, it may not be like this for computer science, but based on the structuring of the MS to PHD CS degrees I've seen I would think long and hard before I made lying about my intention to stay at a place my life plan.

Mr Roboto, did you specifically enter and complete a masters program or did you technically start a PhD program and leave with only a masters?

It appears as if the original poster is contemplating accepting a PhD offer, pretending to do a PhD for two years including the masters step along the way, then try to pull out and go to a different school for the remainder of the PhD. Is that correct?

I cannot speak for computer science, but within my discipline that would be considered extremely suspect and dishonest. Pretending to be doing a PhD then suddenly leaving will not really net you a very good recommendation from the person who thought they were supervising your continued research (Seriously, are you going to say nice things about someone who is clearly taking your money and using you to get into somewhere better?). Your willingness to insincerely take money from one school then run to another when you get a chance will not look good to school #2 anyway.

In my field, the masters-along-the-way requirement is there so that the department can kindly ask someone to leave if they don't appear to really be PhD material: the person leaves with a masters so not empty handed. It isn't really thought of as a point where you potentially go elsewhere. That is unless you are enrolled as a Masters student from the start.

Now I could be totally wrong, it may not be like this for computer science, but based on the structuring of the MS to PHD CS degrees I've seen I would think long and hard before I made lying about my intention to stay at a place my life plan.

Very good point - I didn't really think of this. I am indeed in an MS, and I can see how some problems could arise, especially with letters of recommendation.

This is what I was wondering about -- how awkward/bad it would be to transfer from a PhD program.

I've gotten into a couple top 10 schools, including one of my top choices, so my goal isn't to pretend to do a PhD for two years just to transfer later. I'm just wondering in case I don't end up liking the school as much as I do now. (For example, for undergrad, I applied to only 1 school, since I got in Early Action and thought I would absolutely love it... But for various reasons I wish now that I'd transferred away.)

This is what I was wondering about -- how awkward/bad it would be to transfer from a PhD program.

I've gotten into a couple top 10 schools, including one of my top choices, so my goal isn't to pretend to do a PhD for two years just to transfer later. I'm just wondering in case I don't end up liking the school as much as I do now. (For example, for undergrad, I applied to only 1 school, since I got in Early Action and thought I would absolutely love it... But for various reasons I wish now that I'd transferred away.)

Well, if you and your adviser mutually agreed that you moving on was the right step there probably wouldn't be too much spite in any recommendation letter, however I am sure the other schools would wonder what was "wrong" with you so to speak. You'd have to be very open to talking about your problems to the new school and really that would be a hindrance for admission. Remember they have plenty of people applying who do not have a history of leaving schools. All I can say is take the visit days very seriously and spend some time talking to other students at the school. I just don't see a transfer working.

• 3 weeks later...

My two cents,

I applied to a university for the masters program, but they said that they could not give me financial assistance for a masters, and they asked me about my interest in pursuing a phd. I told them that I was interested but not sure. I ended up applying to the Ph.D. program and getting funding. I have spent 1.5 yrs as a ph.d. student, and have come to realize that I want to ultimately do research at a top 50 academic institution. The placement of phd's from my university is not very high in the top 50 schools, so I switched to the Master's program in what is now my 4th semester. I fully intend on applying to ph.d. programs in the top 20 for 2011, and I have been very straightforward about my intentions with all faculty and my advisor. I believe that this is the best way to go about this. Do not lie or mislead anyone, but there is nothing wrong with saying that you "aren't positive" or you are "interested" in getting a ph.d. if that is the truth. Now, I must say, with top schools, this will probably not get you admitted because they have the luxury of being highly sought after by students whose life-long dream it is to get their Ph.D.