CUNY for rhet/comp?

Anyone here know about CUNY specifically for rhet/comp? They offer that specialization, but when I look at their course schedules, they offer little (if anything) in that area. They have that arrangement with some other schools where students could take courses there. I guess I could look to see if those schools (Columbia, NYU, etc) offer some rhet/comp courses to supplement?

Their certificate in Interactive Tech & Pedagogy greatly appeals to me, but without much in the way of rhetoric, idk...Can't seem to decide if I should apply. 

Any thoughts?

I know of people that went there and got TT jobs but I would not recommend CUNY. No other school in NYC even offers a rhetoric and composition graduate degree (the closest would be Stony Brook on Long Island), so the consortium thing does not help you as much as it would in literature. 

The other problem with CUNY is that I think they give out first year fellowships to some exceptional candidates but beyond that they don't fund you. They give you a tuition waiver and you have to make a living through adjuncting at other schools, which is extremely time consuming since commuting in NYC takes forever, especially if you cross boroughs. And obviously, even if you did get a fellowship, it probably would not be in your best interest to not teach for the first year of your PhD.

Nobody should underestimate the fact that most US universities are not research intensive, so the search committees of such schools will want those that have as much teaching experience as they can get in their PhD programs.

1 minute ago, Romanista said:

The other problem with CUNY is that I think they give out first year fellowships to some exceptional candidates but beyond that they don't fund you. They give you a tuition waiver and you have to make a living through adjuncting at other schools, which is extremely time consuming since commuting in NYC takes forever, especially if you cross boroughs. And obviously, even if you did get a fellowship, it probably would not be in your best interest to not teach for the first year of your PhD.

I thought CUNY fixed that a few years ago?

"Admission is extremely competitive; we admit an incoming cohort of 20 students each year. Every admitted applicant receives full funding for five years, and other fellowship funding is available."

I would personally reach out to CUNY's graduate director and ask to be put in contact with students who do rhet/comp. If they say they don't have any (or give some other weird excuse for not introducing you to students) I'd avoid. Speaking with a student in the field should give you a good idea of what the resources, coursework, and support system is like for rhet/comp students.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies! Sorry for the late response. I've been away and didn't check here until just now. I decided not long after posting that CUNY wasn't a good fit due to few rhet/comp courses there and at the other schools in the consortium. I'd thought maaaaybe Columbia could cut it, since I could take pedagogy courses there in their excellent Teachers College. Ultimately though, that route just doesn't offer the courses I need for my research goals, so I couldn't justify applying.