I'm a third-year studying abroad for a year in Europe, and next year I'd like to apply for grad school, specifically funded MA programs. However, in order to have a strong application, I know I need strong letters and a strong writing sample. To those aims, I think it's important I do some undergraduate research this year -- and if not this year, beginning next year. However, I'm a bit unsure of how to approach this. In order to do independent research at my university, you have to get a faculty member to sponsor you. But I don't have any particularly close relationships with faculty. Yes, I've gone to office hours and done well in certain prof's classes, but beyond that I don't feel I have anyone I can count on to sponsor me as a mentor. It's a lot of extra work for no addtl. pay. As a result, the next step seems to be to propose a project to a faculty member, but the problem here is that A) it doesn't look like there are any professors interested in my prospective "field" (contemporary literature, postmodern literature) and B ) I'm not even sure how to develop a research question or topic. It seems to vast. So I feel I'm in a bind.

Right now, I'm thinking of candidly emailing a professor whom I enjoyed and whom I found helpful, telling him that I'm interested in research, possibly in his field (tho it's not my favorite and I'm not really knowledgeable in it) -- what should I do? But I'm worried this might come off as unprofessional or too forward since myself don't have an idea; not to mention it's possible he won't remember me (tho I went to office hours two or three times and did quite well in his seminar). I probably would like a recommendation from this professor in the future, too. I'd go see him personally, but again, I'm studying abroad.

Edited by sho.chiku.bai

I'll offer this: I didn't do undergraduate research and I had no problem securing funded MA spots. My recommendation letters came from faculty I took classes with who were familiar with my writing ability and interests. I'm currently at a highly regarded program for my research subtopics and I'm still not engaging in "research" outside of my thesis- though I have presented papers based on that thesis work. What I might ask though is what do you mean by "independent" research? Are you wanting to do your own project or are you just wanting to learn about the research process to increase your network and chances of acceptance?

I'm going to pick out a few things you've stated: 

3 hours ago, sho.chiku.bai said:

But I don't have any particularly close relationships with faculty.  As a result, the next step seems to be to propose a project to a faculty member, but the problem here is that A) it doesn't look like there are any professors interested in my prospective "field"

1. You might not be able to find someone doing the exact work you want to do, but I imagine you've at least taken classes that have touched on your research interests, maybe start with those professors. So perhaps you won't have a mentor working on postmodern literature, but even a general literature faculty member will be able to guide you through the research process. I'm also quite surprised there's no one doing postmodern or contemporary literature at your university.

B ) I'm not even sure how to develop a research question or topic. It seems to vast. So I feel I'm in a bind.

2. This is probably why your university requires a sponsor. I'm a second year MA student and I'm still learning how to shape research questions (and my program has entire classes that aim to help you do that- so they are aware this isn't something everyone has had the opportunity to learn). Perhaps emailing some professors to ask for advice in general (rather than with the aim to get them to sponsor you) could start some conversations about what research looks like.

Right now, I'm thinking of candidly emailing a professor whom I enjoyed and whom I found helpful, telling him that I'm interested in research, possibly in his field (tho it's not my favorite and I'm not really knowledgeable in it) -- what should I do? But I'm worried this might come off as unprofessional or too forward since myself don't have an idea; not to mention it's possible he won't remember me (tho I went to office hours two or three times and did quite well in his seminar). I probably would like a recommendation from this professor in the future, too. I'd go see him personally, but again, I'm studying abroad.

3. This sounds like a great idea to me. Put in a few reminders of the class and the work you did, and I think it would be fine to ask how you might go about doing research on your own. I don't think it's unprofessional at all.

4 hours ago, sho.chiku.bai said:

I'm a third-year studying abroad for a year in Europe, and next year I'd like to apply for grad school.

4. Without knowing where you are studying abroad and what for... why not look into research options at the university you are studying in now? Surely the study abroad cordinators or some of the professors you are taking classes with now could point you towards a project you could work on. 

My final takeaway is:

• You don't have to do research in undergrad to get into a good, funded program...it's a nice point to highlight, but many students lack those options
  • You don't have to find a professor who does your exact research interests: just find someone who can point you in the right direction and who cares
  • You don't have to do independent research: a semester in a group project at your Writing Center or English department can teach you a lot about the research process and provide you with references for your work. I would suggest contacting the graduate director at your current department (or if your department doesn't house a graduate program, then the Writing Center director, director of the undergraduate program, or academic advisor) and saying: "I'm an undergraduate studying abroad, I want to begin doing research but I don't know where to start, are there resources for undergraduates? Is there work I can help with in the department somewhere?" 

A lot of research at the graduate level isn't just working on your own papers: it's First Year Writing assessment, it's writing center consulting, it's trying to improve accessibility of program resources. I know our graduate department works with undergrads as interns and writing center consultants through an undergraduate research initiative. Maybe you can't start your research this year, but think of what you might do during the summer or next fall.

2 hours ago, renea said:

What I might ask though is what do you mean by "independent" research? Are you wanting to do your own project or are you just wanting to learn about the research process to increase your network and chances of acceptance?

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write a thorough response.

To answer your question, what I imagine doing is this: I formulate some sort of research question or thesis (e.g. The physical environment of post-industrial London has a deterministic affect on characters in X's novel; this can be read as a social critique on 20th century England, notably the rise of automation). I would either formulate this question w/ a professor, or I would approach the professor w/ it already formed. Then, with their guidance, I would use journal articles, maybe primary sources, theoretical approaches to write a long paper (like 50 pg.) arguing for this thesis. Along the way, I imagine I'd meet with the professor to discuss my progress, to make sure I'm on the right track. Finally, I'd turn in some sort of final draft for a critique, receive feedback, edit it, then possibly repeat. This would likely be listed as "independent study" on my transcript if I were to get it approved through the appropriate channels.

At the end, I would have a highly polished, wholly originally, long piece of critical work that I could use for applications and could try to get published -- not to mention the experience itself would offer me insight on the research process either calling into question or further confirming my desire to go to grad school.

As for working at my current university, I'm just not confident enough in the language in which I'm working in here to do research, but I'm thinking about speaking to professors in the English dept. to do exactly this.

First I want to acknowledge, what you are proposing is research (very similar to the work produced in an upper level english class, a MA thesis, or for publishing). I know this may not be the answer you want, but this is something you can do on your own (and most grad students do this work on their own). Although you wouldn't be able to list it as "research" on your CV, perhaps going to a conference next year would demonstrate your participation in research beyond the classroom. It seems you could simply ask any professors for advice or to do a review of your paper once it's more formed, but for the type of project you're proposing you don't really need an advisor or cv line. Your writing sample will be proof enough that you can conduct research.