thoughts on editing thesis for writing sample??

/sigh/twombly

I am submitting a chapter of my thesis for my writing sample. The writing sample is supposed to read as a full text but the page limit means I'll only be selecting one chapter. This means my literature review and the set up of my general argument/project will be cut out. Currently, I'm editing to try to include the most essential aspects of my introduction into the chapter that I am submitting. Is this the best way to do this? Or should I just include the title of the thesis and the title of the chapter and assume that they will understand that I've cut that out (I've written about my thesis in my statement of purpose). 

How have others gone about submitting an excerpt of a thesis? 

You definitely need to edit the chapter to make it read as a stand-alone work; I would add in the crux of your intro, relevant lit review. You can make room for this by condensing your argument like you already seem to be doing. Never assume your reader will fill in the blanks for you!