Interview planning

factanonverba

Hi guys,

I have applied to a few biology/biomedical sciences-focused PhD programs and I am starting to receive interview invitations. I have noticed that a lot of programs offer two interview periods (e.g. one in Jan and one in Feb). Is attending the earlier or later one more advantageous, if it makes any difference at all? 

I've asked a similar question in the past, and the responses I've gotten say it doesn't matter.  After the first weekend, they will admit some students, reject some, and waitlist some.  And then do the same for the next batch interviewing until they have their cohort.

Edited by StemCellFan

Only one of the programs I interviewed at had multiple dates. I went on the last date and I think at least half of us were admitted. I would also recommend holding interview offers as long as possible, because you can never know for sure if the interview dates will be similar to years past or if they will offer you multiple dates. 

23 hours ago, ballwera said:

Only one of the programs I interviewed at had multiple dates. I went on the last date and I think at least half of us were admitted. I would also recommend holding interview offers as long as possible, because you can never know for sure if the interview dates will be similar to years past or if they will offer you multiple dates. 

ballwera, I don't think I follow your second point - are you recommending that I accept interview offers as late as I can while waiting for other offers?

34 minutes ago, factanonverba said:

ballwera, I don't think I follow your second point - are you recommending that I accept interview offers as late as I can while waiting for other offers?

Yup that's what I was getting at.