OSU Questions

fgh6521

My friend wants to know the following:

"Should I live on campus or off campus? (security, livelihood, financially)"

"How is public transportation? Does one need a car?"

"How is urban life in Columbus"

No one really lives on campus. It's not cost efficient and it's not more convenient.

Rent in Columbus is pretty reasonable most everywhere. Don't live east of campus though... it's full of undergrads, trash, and vomit.

You don't need a car if you live in the area around Columbus [good places are Short North, Clintonville, Grandview...].

People will tell you the bus sucks but it's free with a student id and you just have to learn the system to rely on it. Driving to campus isn't worth the hassle if you live anywhere within a 30-minute bus ride.

Urban life is great-- if your friend ever comes to visit, tell them to check out the Short North and eat at one of the great restaurants on High Street.

I'm a bit concerned about the size of the program (OSU is one of the bigger ones). What would you say to that?

How often do most grad students interact with their advisors/other professors? Do they meet and discuss work frequently?

How is living off the provided stipend? I know Columbus isn't an extremely expensive city but knowing how far the money will go is important.

Do grads RA or TA more? How much work is involved with each? I'd like to do both and am hoping I'll actually get to teach classes at some point.

I'm a bit concerned about the size of the program (OSU is one of the bigger ones). What would you say to that?

How often do most grad students interact with their advisors/other professors? Do they meet and discuss work frequently?

How is living off the provided stipend? I know Columbus isn't an extremely expensive city but knowing how far the money will go is important.

Do grads RA or TA more? How much work is involved with each? I'd like to do both and am hoping I'll actually get to teach classes at some point.

Subfield is extremely important in determining the answers to these questions.

The size of the program is not a big deal. No matter what subfield, there are a ton of faculty members who have interests in tons of different areas. Some of your classes are going to be bigger than at other programs, which has its ups and downs. When you have bigger classes, it is really easy to find study groups and support networks throughout your cohort-- which is something that I found to be really important in helping me get through my first year. When you have smaller classes, there are different expectations to participation-- but it is completely dependent upon the expectations of the professors. Also, a lot of it will come down to your cohort. There are cohorts here that are less than 9 people and some that are more than 20.

And, as long as you don't hide away from professors and you seek them out, they are willing to mentor and give input on whatever you need. A lot of it is just being proactive.

I, personally, interact with 5-6 professors on a daily/weekly basis and was invited to work on personal research my first quarter in.

Living off the stipend is just fine. The graduate school named the PS program one of the best graduate programs on campus and upped the amount of the stipends for everyone in my cohort. I never feel like I'm sacrificing everything fun and unnecessary to survive on the stipend. I get enough where I can save money month to month.

Grads RA/TA choices are dependent on subfield. If you have a strong desire to do one or the other-- you will most likely get to choose what you want to do. Comparativists will most likely have to TA more than Americanists for example; however, it depends on the size of your cohort and the needs of the department. No matter what, you will get to do both eventually.

Lastly, you will get to teach classes; for most, it's a requirement.

Subfield is extremely important in determining the answers to these questions.

The size of the program is not a big deal. No matter what subfield, there are a ton of faculty members who have interests in tons of different areas. Some of your classes are going to be bigger than at other programs, which has its ups and downs. When you have bigger classes, it is really easy to find study groups and support networks throughout your cohort-- which is something that I found to be really important in helping me get through my first year. When you have smaller classes, there are different expectations to participation-- but it is completely dependent upon the expectations of the professors. Also, a lot of it will come down to your cohort. There are cohorts here that are less than 9 people and some that are more than 20.

And, as long as you don't hide away from professors and you seek them out, they are willing to mentor and give input on whatever you need. A lot of it is just being proactive.

I, personally, interact with 5-6 professors on a daily/weekly basis and was invited to work on personal research my first quarter in.

Living off the stipend is just fine. The graduate school named the PS program one of the best graduate programs on campus and upped the amount of the stipends for everyone in my cohort. I never feel like I'm sacrificing everything fun and unnecessary to survive on the stipend. I get enough where I can save money month to month.

Grads RA/TA choices are dependent on subfield. If you have a strong desire to do one or the other-- you will most likely get to choose what you want to do. Comparativists will most likely have to TA more than Americanists for example; however, it depends on the size of your cohort and the needs of the department. No matter what, you will get to do both eventually.

Lastly, you will get to teach classes; for most, it's a requirement.

Thanks for the input. I'm in American, which I know is OSU's strength. It seems like most professors are happy to work actively with grad students and I'm sure if I seek out opportunities I will be fine.

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

I will be attending OSU's Political Science PhD program in upcoming fall and I have started apartment hunting nowadays. I have newly found University Gardens as an appropriate place to live in yet could not find any feedback on the web. Could you help me if you know anything about the community?

Thanks in advance ;)...

Edited by doc-to-be