EdD Degree?

Rusty22

I'm new here, but happy to be a member! I'm in my final year of doing my honours (undergraduate) degree in sociology. I have been torn between pursuing a career in education or sociology for quite sometime now, so I'm hoping I'll be able to learn something on this forum that will help me make up my mind! 

I certainly do have an interest in education, but instead of teaching, I would like to be involved in policy, curriculum or administration of some other kind. In order to do this, would it be necessary (or helpful) for me to pursue a Education Doctorate degree or PhD in education? My GPA for undergraduate is ~3.9/4.0, and I believe that I would be able to maintain ~ this during graduate studies. Would I have to do my teachers degree first, followed by a masters, or could I do a masters after my undergraduate and then do my EdD? Is it preferable if candidates for Education Doctorate programs have teaching experience, or is this not particularly important? Finally... how would an EdD actually help me with respect to career prospects? 

Sorry if this is a little mumbled (lol), I have a lot of questions! I also live in Canada, in case that's relevant :)