Interview

CultureOfIdeas

So I've never posted a question but I just got called this morning for an interview to my alma mater about my PhD application. I know nothing about how the interview factors into the decision, what they are used for (if anything), how positive (or negative) a sign it is, etc. I'm hoping its to get information about why I want to stay and whether I would attend if admitted, but who knows. Its the one professor I don't really know in the dept.

Any information would be greatly helpful, thanks

Interviews are always a good thing. Depending on the field, you've either made it past the first round, or you are in fact a finalist. Some departments only interview applicants to make sure they are not exceptionally incompatible (=if you don't make a very bad impression somehow, then you are in), in other cases departments only accept a few of those interviewed. Since you don't give any information about your field and school, it's hard to tell, but it's a good sign either way.

The interview is probably is big factor in the decision. It's already been established that you meet the GRE/GPA standards and that your interests intersect with those of some faculty member(s). In the interview they will test whether you are a good fit for the department - in terms of compatibility with potential advisors (personality, as well as research interests) and in terms of compatibility with the spirit and personality of the department. There have been many threads about preparing for interviews in the forum, which you should read for excellent advice. Good luck!

Fuzzy -

Thanks for the advice and comforting words. My discipline is anthropology, for the record, and the peculiar thing about this case, is that I have a long relationship with almost the entire department and still currently work for a professor there. I was very active in the dept. as an undergrad, and have many friends among the faculty and current graduate students. I'm trying to figure out what information they might be looking for, especially since its someone with whom I don't have a pre-existing relationship.

Also, its a relatively small department from which all my recommendations come, and my project pitch from my SoP is very much the product of an ongoing engagement with multiple people from the dept.

Thanks again for the help!

Glad to help :)

Since you say the interview is with someone who doesn't know you, I assume they want the exact same thing all interviewers want - to get to know you. Is this a potential advisor? It would make sense that (s)he would want to talk to you to see that you click and that you have passion for shared interests. You will have a distinct advantage during the interview, being able to mention participating in ongoing projects in the department and having recommendations from trusted faculty members from the same department. Your chances of acceptance will probably depend on the department's general policy regarding accepting its own students (some don't like to do it, so maybe you're getting an interview because they want to make an exception for you; other departments regularly recruit their own undergrads, and then you most likely have a good chance of being admitted).