Mechanical Engineering Application Profiles 2018

glauc

Hello everyone! Given that most deadlines have passed, let's use this topic to learn more about our choices :)

Undergrad Institution: 

Major(s): 
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: x.xx/4.00
Overall GPA: x.xx/4.00
Demographics/Background: 

GRE Scores:
Q: xxx (xx%)
V: xxx (xx%)
W: x.x (xx%)

LOR: 

Research Experience: 

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations:

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Fellowships/Funding:

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments:

Research Interests:

Institutions/Programs:

Comments:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm mainly applying to aerospace programs, but the mechanical and aerospace departments are shared at a lot of schools.

Undergrad Institution: Decent school in the South. Guessing top 50 in US for engineering?

Major(s): Mechanical Engineering
Overall GPA: 3.62/4.00 (90.5%)

GRE Scores:
Q: 168 (94%)
V: 160 (86%)
W: 4.5 (82%)

LOR: One letter from rocketry club advisor, one letter from department advisor who taught one of my major project based courses, and one letter from my employer where I do work directly related to my research interests.

Research Experience: 

Academic: Propulsion research project with small team (started senior year, ongoing)

Industry: research and development of aerospace control systems for past 7 months

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: Student conferences and poster competitions but no actual publications

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Lots of scholarships (tuition+housing+extra)

Received recognition for overall achievement from a manufacturing magazine

Fellowships/Funding: Applied to NSF GRFP and NDSEG

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 4 different internships since freshman year. Always full-time during summers and part-time for 5 of 7 semesters. Been at current company for over 1.5 years where I currently work on aerospace controls and prototyping.

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments: Active in rocketry team since freshman year. Extensive rocketry experience and have placed well in a few international engineering competitions. Misc. personal projects outside of class and work.

Research Interests: Controls

Institutions/Programs: Applied: MIT (Aero), Georgia Tech (Aero), University of Texas - Austin (Aero), Texas A&M (Aero), University of Washington (Aero), Johns Hopkins (ME), University of Florida (AE)

Accepted: University of Alabama in Huntsville (Aero)

Comments: Applying to PhD programs except a few schools where undergraduates are only permitted to apply to master's programs.

Edited by HydroJim