University of Michigan application

Prashast

Question

Hey Guys, I am applying to University of Michigan, Ann Arbor for Fall 2018. I am confused between two programs: 
1. M.S Computer Science and Engineering 
2. M.S.E Computer Science and Engineering

The university website (http://ece.umich.edu/eecs/graduate/ms-description.html ) says that the two programs do not have any other difference except the criteria that only students with an undergraduate degree in engineering can apply to the M.S.E program (they have the option to apply for M.S degree as well).

My question is whether there is a difference in the relative difficulty of admit in the two programs? If there is, which one is easier to get into?

1 answer to this question

I did my undergrad at Umich in an unrelated field, but I had friends who majored in computer science.  There are two different undergrad computer science degrees:  (1) B.S. in computer science from LSA (College of Literature, Science, and the Arts), (2) B.S.E. in Computer Science from the College of Engineering.  

CoE is generally harder to get into than LSA.  Its curriculum is also more difficult (CoE undergrads have more math and science requirements in general than LSA students do).  But those who could get into CoE and were up to the challenge usually chose to go for the B.S.E. because it looked better on a resume.  

Now obviously I only have experience with the undergrad side of things, but if this mirrors Umich's CS Masters degrees in any way, I'd guess that the M.S. in CS would be easier to get into.