Should I contact potential advisors?

18CrimeStopper

Hi there everyone! I got started kind of late and just recently submitted the last of my applications. But I was wondering, should I go ahead and contact some of the advisors I mentioned in my POS that I was interested in working with? Deadline for the last of my programs is the 1st, so I don't kow if it is to late to do that or not. Also if not, what the heck do i say? Hi i'm so and so, and wanted to reach out and introduce myself formally etc? Or do I make it more personal and say i'm interested in some of your research? Thanks in advance and hope everyone has a great new year!

I say better late than never. You always want to make sure your POIs take an interest in you as well and have room for you, or you will be stuck going to a school with no advisors. In STEM (not sure if you're STEM or not), you end up doing research in their lab, but they won't let you work in their lab if they have no room for you or simply aren't interested in you. So do it as soon as you can!