Chances of Getting Into Grad School for Computer Science?

zabi

Question

Hello!

I'm a senior set to graduate this summer with an undergrad in both public relations and computer science. Decent general GPA (3.481 overall, 3.3-something for comp. sci major). I bungled a few of my computer science courses (namely operating systems and artificial intelligence, in addition to math courses such as Calc I/II - not all of them, though). I got C's in those, but my other coursework in both majors has been pretty great.

I have some non-CS work experience, namely working for an consulate (similar to an embassy). I've also done some freelance front-end development work for a professor at my university, as well as tech support work.

I was wondering where I might stand when it comes to graduate admissions. Is this what universities are looking for? I don't really have any research experience. I'm considering applying to New York City and NJ universities such as NYU, Stevens, etc.

Edited by zabi

1 answer to this question

Disclaimer: I do not have any experience with CS admissions, just a student sharing my thoughts.

I think it depends which degree you are looking for (Master's or PhD). If you are applying for a Master's program then I think you will be fine. Many Master's programs are easier to get into because they don't provide funding. Completing a Master's will allow you to get some research experience and also to prove that you can do well in higher-level CS courses. This will be a huge help if you decide you want to apply for a PhD. For example, I completed a B.S. in CS at a top-ranked Ivy and got < 3.0 cumulative undergrad GPA. I then went on to get an M.S. at a public university, did some research, and now already have interview invites for top ranked PhD programs.

If you are looking to apply for a PhD, I don't think it will be enough. You will likely want to either take some higher level courses, conduct some research, or both. Getting a job in industry may also help. Since you are still in college, I would recommend looking for summer opportunities to complete some of these things. Many universities offer research opportunities for undergraduate students. You could also ask your professors for recommendation. 

I hope that helps!