Can I even get into any molecular biology/biochemistry PhD program?

mrspringfield

Hi all. I'm worried that I am not qualified to get my PhD at all.

I graduated from a middle-tier liberal arts school with a BS in biotechnology. I had a 2.76 GPA (stupid I know) and 2 years of research experience that resulted in a first author paper. I am now at good institution doing neuroscience research. My GRE scores were 162 Q, 155 V, 4.5 W. I have a feeling that I am not competitive at any school. I feel that my GPA will bar me from any graduate school in the US. 

If I am not qualified for any schools is there a chance that doing anything further will allow me to get into a PhD program? Or should I just give up and go into industry.

Hi there! You are totally qualified. Your GPA might not be spectacular, but your GRE scores are fine, and it's great that you have some research experience + publication! If you were to spend a few years as a tech to get some more research experience, in addition to strong LORs and a killer SOP, I think you would definitely get into a few programs. You could also try to do a masters degree to prove you can handle graduate level courses. Keep your head up - if graduate school is your dream, pursue it!!

You’re not DOA, you still have a chance. With that said, you do face an uphill battle and you should cast a wide net. Target schools that do not have a gpa cutoff. Some schools explicitly say they do (usually a 3.0), while others do not. If not listed, I would email the program to determine if they have one or not. If they do not have one, add it to your list. After figuring out a long list, go through it in detail and determine which schools match your interests. Apply to those.

Goodluck! 

I think you're plenty qualified, but that is a low GPA.  If you work on gaining more research experience and have some great recommendations going into your applications you should be ok.  Some schools have lower GPA cutoffs (one of my schools has a 2.75) And I would look into those.   You could also take a couple graduate level courses to demonstrate to admissions you can do well in the coursework needed for any graduate program.  It will be an uphill battle but with hard work I think you can do it.  Good luck!