For Ecology & Evolution people, past and present!

anselmo1

I didn't know if grad school was for me so I did museum and field work. Websites like My link and UMD ecolog are great for finding short term field jobs. Sorry that first link looks weird but it is the Texas A and M wesbite.

They update a lot...like every single day so check back often!! I cannot tell you how valuable theses jobs have been for me! Plus you meet awesome people and get to live in the coolest places!

thanks for the TAMU link. I've been going through ecolog and it looks like it's mostly work for just the summer- and pays very little. can you live on that and pay undergrad student loans (not much, probably $100/month)? also, is that really the kind of experinece that POIs look for to prove "fit" with their lab? I just can't believe that they wouldn't care about my independent research in undergard but would be impressed with fieldwork that involves no research on my part, even if the fieldwork is more conected to their area of research.

what do ecology people do between Bachelor's and PhD? I'm thinking of getting a job, but I'm not sure what kind of job will improve my chances of getting int oa PhD program- fieldwork? something else?

Well I went and did a Master's program in Biology to get even more research experience and publications out.

• 5 weeks later...

does it matter where I get my Master's? would a degree from an unranked program be worthless?

I doubt it--a Master's is an indication that you can do thinking and you can do research about your thinking. B) I don't think it needs to be from a ranked program, because your program's rank will probably play less of a role in most future jobs/admission decisions than what you do for the degree itself.

• 4 months later...

I am more of an evolutionary biology/geology person. I'm looking at doing it from a long term geology area with evolutionary biology and possibly genetics with it.

I didn't know if grad school was for me so I did museum and field work. Websites like My link and UMD ecolog are great for finding short term field jobs. Sorry that first link looks weird but it is the Texas A and M wesbite.

They update a lot...like every single day so check back often!! I cannot tell you how valuable theses jobs have been for me! Plus you meet awesome people and get to live in the coolest places!

Are you looking to work at a museum in the future? I know I am thinking to, and am going to be trying to do some volunteer work at one this year, in the department that is a good fit for me. How was your experience volunteering?

Turns out that, in despite of being inferior in terms of GPA and GRE, I did get into graduate school!

I got into University of Kansas, with funding *and* nominated for a university-wide fellowship. I had to fly out for an interview for the fellowship and I find out about it on Friday.

I interviewed at the Richard Gilder Graduate school three weeks ago, and I hadn't heard anything back. I was under the impression that I would find out within a week, at most, so I assumed I had neither been a first round accepted or a first round rejected applicant. I just found out (a week ago, really), that *no one* had heard anything. So now the decisions are back on, which kind of sucks since I began mentally committing myself to going to KU.

It'll be rough if I get into both KU and RGGS. They are both great for what I want to do, just veeerrry different programs. Getting this fellowship I interviewed for will weigh heavily for KU if it happens.

Any one else in a similar boat? Heard anything about the Richard Gilder graduate school?

How was the the interview for RGGS? What do people think are the strong points of this program? I am very curious about other peoples opinions on this program.