Rangel and/or Pickering

mmclean0260

Hey,

Just wondering if anybody else is applying to the Rangel or the Pickering? I am applying to both and was just curious if anybody else on here was as well. Also, I have been having problems with the recommenders section of the Pickering application (my recommenders have not received anything and I have fully submitted the application) anyone else have this problem.

I applied last year as well and didn't even get an interview for either. I was straight out of undergrad and have relatively low GREs (v520 q530). Since last year I have been accepted into Syracuse's duel-degree MAIR and MS in Public Relations program (Public Diplomacy). I deferred my matriculation until fall 2011 because I won a Boren Graduate Fellowship and am currently in Brazil enhancing my Portuguese at a local university and volunteering with a NGO in the favelas. This time around I highlighted my learning disability in language arts and being dyslexic in order to align with the Rangel and Pickering's mission to "incorporate less commonly represented minorities into the Foreign Service" .

As a white male from a low income background, does anybody have any insights into my chances at either fellowship?

GRE- v520 q530 w3.5

Undergrad GPA- 3.8

Internships- Summer internship with the State Dept at the consulate in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and a semester internship with the OAS in DC

I am also a current David L. Boren (NSEP) Graduate Fellow in Rio de Janeiro and was a 2009/2010 Fulbright ETA finalist for Macau

Last question..... Do you think Pickering and Rangel require the reporting of GRE scores because they want to make sure their applicants are competitive for grad programs? seeing that most applicants apply to grad school and these fellowships at the same time. Do you think my low GREs will not be looked at as closely because Im already in a program?

Thanks and good luck!

I'm applying to both as well. Also a white male, EFC 0, but my stats are kind of the opposite of yours in terms of GRE (higher), GPA (lower), and time out of undergrad (almost 6 years). It will be interesting to see how things play out. Have you taken the Foreign Service Officer Exam before? I'm wondering what effect, if any, that will have on an application.

I'd say that considering you got a Boren Fellowship and are already admitted to a masters program, you probably have a good shot at getting an interview at the very least. (Remember, you'll have to come to DC at your own expense in March/April to interview in person for these Fellowships.) The one thing that does stick out to me as a potential issue is your writing score on the GRE. Just from personal experience, I got a 5.0 on mine, felt like I wrote a similar quality essay both times I took the FSOE, and those essays were graded 6/12 both times, which is the minimum passing score. You may want to prepare a good response as to why your GRE writing score was so low and how you plan to work on that weakness to pass the writing sections of the FSOE and FSOA.

Yea Im hoping to at least get an interview seeing as I am way better in person then on a test. I took the FSOE last year as a college senior and failed. Expected, but I think it was kind of a blessing because I signed up to take the test as political cone and I have come to realize that PD is defiantly the better choice for me. The crazy thing is that my Boren contact at IIE told me that as a Boren Fellow I have preferential gov't hiring and that I am able to bypass the FSOE, which is amazing me because I test horribly. Im just not sure how that works yet, like do I just go straight to the orals or do I have to submit an application or something? Im just not sure. But I really need to prepare a response for my low scores either way, seeing I get an interview hahaha I might be getting a little ahead of myself :)

good luck to you man, and it will defiantly be interesting to see how things play out

• 4 weeks later...

(Remember, you'll have to come to DC at your own expense in March/April to interview in person for these Fellowships.)

to D-Lux

Hey, just wanted to say that I don't think that statement (above) is true. It certainly wasn't true this past spring. All 40 fellows were flown in for the interviews and it was paid for by State. (Even those that were overseas at the time, which quite a few were.) Maybe the rules have changed this year, but I don't think so.

Also, in regards to the white-male issue, there were a few white males at the interviews. Maybe 5-6 I want to say. Can't say how many got through, since I haven't seen any other fellows since. All of the finalists were really exceptional people with outstanding experiences, so just making it to the interviews is huge.

And to mmclean0206 - It sounds like you're talking about the diplomacy fellows program. State isn't always accepting diplomacy fellows, I think the next open period for applications is June/July and you compete with graduates from several other fellowships including Pickering and Rangel. I'm unclear on whether you'd need to submit the personal narratives and be evaluated by the QEP so it's worth looking into.

(Remember, you'll have to come to DC at your own expense in March/April to interview in person for these Fellowships.)

to D-Lux

Hey, just wanted to say that I don't think that statement (above) is true. It certainly wasn't true this past spring. All 40 fellows were flown in for the interviews and it was paid for by State. (Even those that were overseas at the time, which quite a few were.) Maybe the rules have changed this year, but I don't think so.

The Rangel website states that they will only pay for domestic airfare segments. I did find a blog post from a Pickering finalist who was flown in from Japan, so it may vary between the programs. Since the OP is currently in Brazil, I figured it was worth mentioning.

The Rangel website states that they will only pay for domestic airfare segments. I did find a blog post from a Pickering finalist who was flown in from Japan, so it may vary between the programs. Since the OP is currently in Brazil, I figured it was worth mentioning.

Sorry. I was just referring to Pickering. No idea about how Rangel works, so you might be right.

Sorry. I was just referring to Pickering. No idea about how Rangel works, so you might be right.

It sounds like Pickering may be more well-funded. There's a $5000/year difference in the fellowship amount as well.

Can you share anything with us on your experience with the Pickering Fellowship? How was the interview process? This thread is pretty quiet so far.

It sounds like Pickering may be more well-funded. There's a $5000/year difference in the fellowship amount as well.

Can you share anything with us on your experience with the Pickering Fellowship? How was the interview process? This thread is pretty quiet so far.

Sure. I heard I was a finalist on April 6th. They immediately started making arrangements for the interviews, which were at the end of the month. They flew in 40 finalists. There's a tour of FSI, a test, and an interview. I prepared in the same way that I would for the Oral Assessment, with the 13 dimensions etc. I would recommend that to others as well. And you probably don't need to be told this, but dress professionally and conservatively.

Any other questions?

Sure. I heard I was a finalist on April 6th. They immediately started making arrangements for the interviews, which were at the end of the month. They flew in 40 finalists. There's a tour of FSI, a test, and an interview. I prepared in the same way that I would for the Oral Assessment, with the 13 dimensions etc. I would recommend that to others as well. And you probably don't need to be told this, but dress professionally and conservatively.

Any other questions?

Thanks for the info....just a quick question. What did the test consist of (basics, I dont want you to get in trouble or anything). Is it like the FSOT or is it more of a test to gage your writing skills?

Thanks for the info....just a quick question. What did the test consist of (basics, I dont want you to get in trouble or anything). Is it like the FSOT or is it more of a test to gage your writing skills?

Well, I hemmed and hawed for a day about whether or not I could go into specifics. Luckily I don't have to. Here's a link to someone who 1) no longer has to worry about any NDA and 2) explained it all very thoroughly. Good compromise, no? http://clevertitle-comingsoon.blogspot.com/2010/04/day-as-pickering-fellowship-finalist.html . (D-Lux - that's probably the one you were referring to.) Here's another one about the Pickering Orientation from an undergrad Pickering fellow. http://ymbarzilai.blogspot.com/2009/06/bangkok-dc-bangkok.html . That information seems a bit dated though, because this past year they didn't fly the fellows back to DC for Orientation (at least not the graduate fellows), so only the ones who were already in the States attended. And just a piece of personal advice, don't worry about the test at all. It's the interview you'll want to prepare for.

• 3 weeks later...

We were supposed to find out today, but the Rangel program informed us today that notifications have been postponed due to State Department funding issues. Waiting. Sucks. Still trying to keep a positive outlook though ehhh

Really? wow. I was a finalist myself, and I interviewed on Tuesday. What day did you interview? I was wondering why I never received a call or email. geez. Well, I wish you the best.

Did you apply for the Pickering as well?

Really? wow. I was a finalist myself, and I interviewed on Tuesday. What day did you interview? I was wondering why I never received a call or email. geez. Well, I wish you the best.

Did you apply for the Pickering as well?

I'm in the same boat. I interviewed on Monday, and I haven't received an e-mail or call either about the change. Not sure what to make of that...

i interviewed on monday as well - do you think they are going to have to cut the number of fellows this year?

in other news, the pickering is announcing finalists april 2nd... but i wonder if they are going to have the same problem as the rangel

I did receive that email from the Pickering program. A lot of it has to do with the federal budget. After all, it was only extended for three weeks. I just received an email from Patricia about the problem.

Anyone considered not doing the Pickering this year and re-applying another year if they defered graduate school? Is that possible?

i know for the rangel you can defer the fellowship and grad school for one year if you receive a fulbright, i'm not sure about the pickering though

i know for the rangel you can defer the fellowship and grad school for one year if you receive a fulbright, i'm not sure about the pickering though

I was unaware of that. I have yet to hear back from the schools I applied to. Depending on how that turns out, I was thinking about taking a year off to gain more experience. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got word that I am a finalist for the Pickering. Does anyone know how the Pickering funding works? I have read that some schools only allow a certain amount of funding for Pickering students (SAIS website says that a Pickering fellow gets 2/3 tuition for their second year of study). I cant find this information on my other schools websites (U of M, Syracuse, Tufts). It would be helpful to know if the amount Pickering offers is actually dependent on school's individual requirements. Also, anyone else selected as a finalist? I have to interview from Thailand (I live in Indonesia but am vacationing on the day they scheduled my interview). Wish I didn't have to try to make a good impression over a pixilated computer screen. Any ideas on how to prepare? I read other comments on this forum and they were helpful. Thanks!

I just got word that I am a finalist for the Pickering. Does anyone know how the Pickering funding works? I have read that some schools only allow a certain amount of funding for Pickering students (SAIS website says that a Pickering fellow gets 2/3 tuition for their second year of study). I cant find this information on my other schools websites (U of M, Syracuse, Tufts). It would be helpful to know if the amount Pickering offers is actually dependent on school's individual requirements. Also, anyone else selected as a finalist? I have to interview from Thailand (I live in Indonesia but am vacationing on the day they scheduled my interview). Wish I didn't have to try to make a good impression over a pixilated computer screen. Any ideas on how to prepare? I read other comments on this forum and they were helpful. Thanks!

Congrats!

I think I can answer your funding question:

The Pickering funding (at least last year's funding) works like this: you get a certain amount of money for the academic year, that money goes first to pay your tuition. If there's any left over it then goes to pay for housing (up to 1000 a month), if there's any left over after that it goes to pay for food, then books, then a flight to your school from your home and back. If you run out of money somewhere in there, then you pay the rest yourself. I would assume that SAIS is referring to the Foreign Affairs Fellows (FAF) as opposed to Graduate Foreign Affairs Fellows (GFAF) for the 2nd year comment. Because FAFs are chosen while still undergrads. They get their last two years of undergrad paid and their first year only of grad school paid by Pickering. So they would have to find their own funding for the second year. By offering them a discount SAIS is sure to get more FAF Pickerings and boost their numbers of fellows and of FSOs, which looks good on their recruiting docs, so smart move by them. That said, if you're a graduate fellow, the tuition should be covered both years, so no worries, you can take it to whichever school you choose.

And good luck with the interview. It will probably a nightmare over skype, but maybe no less difficult than interviewing under major jet-lag. ;)

Congrats!!

Guess if I haven't heard anything by now I can assume I wasn't picked...

Yeah, so much for the "all applicants will hear back by April 2nd" email.

yea I was a little upset about that as well. Im sure we'll get a "thanks, but no thanks" email on monday at some point. God I hope the FLAS comes through or Im screwed haha.