Current Harris Student

mppm

Hi guys, I'm a current Harris student and I spoke to the director of admissions about the speculation going on here about the reason for the extension of the deadline and I can report that there's nothing nefarious: the polar vortex meant that a lot of GRE exams were cancelled around the country so it was decided to give people who had started applications a bit more time.  Applications are actually up 14% from last year so lack of numbers wasn't a factor in the decision to allow a bit more time.  Good luck to everyone who has applied and hope to see you here later this year!  

going by the no. of email reminders they sent for completing applications, it might actually be true ! :P

Hi guys, I'm a current Harris student and I spoke to the director of admissions about the speculation going on here about the reason for the extension of the deadline and I can report that there's nothing nefarious: the polar vortex meant that a lot of GRE exams were cancelled around the country so it was decided to give people who had started applications a bit more time.  Applications are actually up 14% from last year so lack of numbers wasn't a factor in the decision to allow a bit more time.  Good luck to everyone who has applied and hope to see you here later this year!  

Thanks for the scoop. Fingers crossed.

Haha, looks like my speculation was off the mark. (I also didn't mean to accuse the admissions department of anything "nefarious" if I came off that way, I figured these are simply normal responses to things that come up in the life of any admissions department). Thanks for investigating!

I have a small doubt- when they say 21st Jan is the last day to submit applications for financial aid, does it mean that all LoRs should also be in by that time?

I received the same email and I am on the same boat--one of my recommenders have yet to send in his letter. So I emailed them back asking them about rec letters, and the director emailed me back saying that as long you submitted your application by today, you will be considered for finaid.

• 4 weeks later...

Admitted, with no funding, and super super stoked! Choosing between another offer (Duke Enviro Management) with 20k funding. A bit troubled at the prospect of coming up with the money for Chicago myself, but I don't know how I can turn down my dream school. Anyone else in the same boat? I was heartened by some 2011 posts in this thread that implied the Harris MPP is worth it no matter what the cost, but I know it's an individual choice for everyone. I wonder if most Harris MPPs share the sentiment that the cost ends up being worth it?

Question for current Harris students:  is the MPP program at Harris geared more of a terminal or non-terminal degree?  I want to eventually get a PhD, but saw from the student profile on the Harris website that only 2% of graduates take that route.  

Thanks!

Congrats everyone who got an offer!  Wishing you all the best with what will no doubt be a month of difficult decision making about where to spend the next two years of your life and for those who end up coming to Harris, I look forward to meeting you soon!

Question for current Harris students:  is the MPP program at Harris geared more of a terminal or non-terminal degree?  I want to eventually get a PhD, but saw from the student profile on the Harris website that only 2% of graduates take that route.  

Thanks!

Very few Harris MPP students get into the PhD program as I believe there are only accept very few PhD candidates each year (check the website, but I think this year was maybe 3 and you have to have a ton of prior econ/stats/game theory knowledge).  Some go on to do PhDs at other universities after the MPP - I know of someone from the class of 2013 who is now at Northwestern doing a PhD.  

Good luck everyone with the decision making! 

brian.sabina,

Do you happen to have any insight on how the admissions process works for CIR students interested in the joint MA program in IR and Public Policy? I'm been admitted to CIR but am only interested if I could definitely get into the one-year public policy program at Harris. Do you have any peers that are in that program? I've tried to get into contact with their admissions office but no one seems to get back to me..

Hey,

I'm a current Harris student that is more internationally focused. Let me be clear that Harris is not as internationally focused as some other policy schools. However, I've found there are plenty of courses and activities to keep me busy now that I'm out of the core. Here are a few more thoughts in addition to the IPP:

1. This quarter I'm taking State-Building & Failure and Poverty and Economic Development at the Harris School, both of which are completely internationally focused. I also took the Middle-East Current Affairs mini-course this past fall which was great.

2. The flexibility of the Harris curriculum after the core allows you to take advantage of internationally focuses offerings from other parts of the university. The Law School has some course on Human Rights and Trafficking, the International Relations Department is top tier and has some great offerings, and the business school has a bunch of internationally focused courses.

3. There is a ton of non-course international stuff going on at Harris and the University. Harris has a whole Middle-East month during the fall. The university brings in a lot of diplomats and international figures. (We have some important person from Turkey coming in next Friday). There is also a very strong connections between the university and South America, especially Chile. There is a whole student group at Harris focused on international issues. There is an amazing International Relations workshop ever Thursday night called PIPES (you can find this quarters schedule of speakers online).

I guess my main point is that if you want it, there is lots of high quality international policy discourse going on here, but it's not going to be as spoon-fed to you as in other places.

Very few Harris MPP students get into the PhD program as I believe there are only accept very few PhD candidates each year (check the website, but I think this year was maybe 3 and you have to have a ton of prior econ/stats/game theory knowledge).  Some go on to do PhDs at other universities after the MPP - I know of someone from the class of 2013 who is now at Northwestern doing a PhD.  

Good luck everyone with the decision making! 

Thank you, harrista!  Do you know if there are opportunities to do research and publish in the MPP program?

You can do a research subject supervised by a professor so I think it really just depends on your area of interest and their area of interest.  You don't get any electives until third quarter of first year so I don't know too much about it yet.  There are also people who write for various publications on their area of interest, like one of my classmates here who wrote about urban policy for The Atlantic.  

Thank you, harrista!  Do you know if there are opportunities to do research and publish in the MPP program?

Hi everyone,

I just found out that I am wait listed for UChicago. I know I am not guaranteed admission, but I absolutely CANNOT believe this. CANNOT. I had rejection letters flying everywhere, so I actually cannot believe that a prestigious school like UChicago actually CONSIDERED me. I was expecting a rejection letter so I was mentally prepared, but ahhh!!! Wait listed!

Does anyone know the stats for wait listed students being admitted? What is the percentage/likelihood of people on the wait list is actually admitted?

Thanks all!

You can do a research subject supervised by a professor so I think it really just depends on your area of interest and their area of interest.  You don't get any electives until third quarter of first year so I don't know too much about it yet.  There are also people who write for various publications on their area of interest, like one of my classmates here who wrote about urban policy for The Atlantic.  

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Question for the current students:

I'm thinking about leasing an apartment on 61st and Woodlawn and was wondering how safe that area is.  I like that it's so close to Harris but am kind of worried about living south of the Midway.

Thanks for your help!

It's fine there, there's a few people in my cohort who live at 61st and Woodlawn.  Just make sure it's a good building with security front doors.  There's a lot of university police patrolling that area, plenty of emergency phones around there and it's a well-lit and safe feeling walk from campus to 61st and Woodlawn, but like anywhere in Hyde Park you just have to stay alert and preferably move in groups if it's late at night.  

The issues with living around there are that it's far to get groceries or to anything vaguely fun in Hyde Park other then the campus pub, and if you're getting public transport to go downtown it's a trek to get to the bus or metra stop.  There's plenty of night shuttles run by the university to take you around though and during the day there's two free bus lines for UChicago students which leave from outside Harris.  The sidewalk snow shoveling is also not great south of Harris but the only reason you'd go south by foot is to get to a cafe on 63rd.  

Question for the current students:

I'm thinking about leasing an apartment on 61st and Woodlawn and was wondering how safe that area is.  I like that it's so close to Harris but am kind of worried about living south of the Midway.

Thanks for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I just found out that I am wait listed for UChicago. I know I am not guaranteed admission, but I absolutely CANNOT believe this. CANNOT. I had rejection letters flying everywhere, so I actually cannot believe that a prestigious school like UChicago actually CONSIDERED me. I was expecting a rejection letter so I was mentally prepared, but ahhh!!! Wait listed!

Does anyone know the stats for wait listed students being admitted? What is the percentage/likelihood of people on the wait list is actually admitted?

Thanks all!

Hi everyone,

Thanks all!

So I've spoken to the dean of students. His general opinion is that he will waitlist students who are on the fence to see how bad they want it. If a waitlisted student emails and calls in order to show interest, it can increase their chance of getting in.

It's fine there, there's a few people in my cohort who live at 61st and Woodlawn.  Just make sure it's a good building with security front doors.  There's a lot of university police patrolling that area, plenty of emergency phones around there and it's a well-lit and safe feeling walk from campus to 61st and Woodlawn, but like anywhere in Hyde Park you just have to stay alert and preferably move in groups if it's late at night.  

The issues with living around there are that it's far to get groceries or to anything vaguely fun in Hyde Park other then the campus pub, and if you're getting public transport to go downtown it's a trek to get to the bus or metra stop.  There's plenty of night shuttles run by the university to take you around though and during the day there's two free bus lines for UChicago students which leave from outside Harris.  The sidewalk snow shoveling is also not great south of Harris but the only reason you'd go south by foot is to get to a cafe on 63rd.  

If you have a car it really doesn't matter. Walking home at night will probably offer you fun and exciting opportunites to meet new people!