TA Application

shendy

I'm working on my TA application for a writing program course this upcoming fall. Unfortunately, its proving difficult as I have no previous teaching or tutoring experience of any kind to highlight. What other kinds of skills and experinces are literature or writing programs looking for in a TA? Thanks!

Sorry to ask, but since it's not in your avatar info: are you coming from an English background? Do you have coursework you could talk about? Knowing about what makes good writing (from a literature or writing background) could be something to talk up.

I had no prior teaching or tutoring experience when I filled out my application to be a TA, so I had to be creative in what I chose to report and emphasize. Besides the tutoring that all first year PhDs do at my program, my only work experience had been in retail and food service (the latter as a manager). I listed both of them as experiences where I dealt with minor problems, confrontations, crises, daily responsibilities and a CONSTANT interaction with people, not all of whom were happy or polite.

I spun it along the lines of "I haven't been locked in the library all my life. I can handle stressful situations and conduct myself with both authority and graciousness when helping/serving/disciplining people."

We all have to start somewhere, so don't feel bad if you have to cobble something less traditional together. Someone could have prior teaching experience and still have problems teaching, whereas someone without a teaching background might still have many of the skills and qualities that allow them to manage a classroom while working on the other tricks of the trade that only come with time.

Edited by poco_puffs

Patience and passion for education are two of the most important qualities any professor, teacher, TA or educator of any kind must have. You need not have teaching experience to have these qualities. If possible, describe how you've demonstrated these qualities in other, (non-teaching) capacities.