Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

Boren 2012-2013

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#41 collegemom82

collegemom82

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Application Season:Not Applicable
  • Program:IS

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

I am submitting my application today, and will be turning in the supplemental materials to my campus tomorrow. I am really excited yet nervous! I have went back over my essays with a fine tooth comb what seems like a hundred times. I have revised them and revised them to the point that I feel I am finally finished!

Goodluck everyone!
2012-2013 Boren Applicant:
-Arabic/Jordan

#42 collegemom82

collegemom82

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

I do have one question about the essays.... with the alternate program essay, do I just copy and paste it below the first essay?
-Arabic/Jordan

#43 wagarb09

wagarb09

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

I am excited for this cycle for the Boren Fellowship! I am putting the finishing touches on my research proposal which is exciting! I just got accepted into my graduate school Middleburry College MA Russian. I love the structure of the Middlebury program and if anybody studying a critical language has yet to hear of this school please research it. I am a triple major as well. Either way I have my dissertation and methods of my research all planned out before actually going. I have experience in Russia as well with the CLS program. Just apply to this Fellowship has been extremely rewarding. Good luck to all!!! Only about 10 days left!

#44 riverguide

riverguide

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationThe River...
  • Application Season:2013 Fall

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

I am excited for this cycle for the Boren Fellowship! I am putting the finishing touches on my research proposal which is exciting! I just got accepted into my graduate school Middleburry College MA Russian. I love the structure of the Middlebury program and if anybody studying a critical language has yet to hear of this school please research it. I am a triple major as well. Either way I have my dissertation and methods of my research all planned out before actually going. I have experience in Russia as well with the CLS program. Just apply to this Fellowship has been extremely rewarding. Good luck to all!!! Only about 10 days left!

Good luck! I've participated in two programs with Middlebury (Summer Intensive Arabic and Middlebury Alexandria) and it is truly the best! The friends I made there and their level of ability and commitment were extraordinary. It should be a great feather in your cap. I still attribute my receipt of the Boren to my experience and the development of my language skills in their programs!

Accepted: Harvard, Georgetown, & SAIS Fall 2013.

My Choice: JHU SAIS

#45 collegemom82

collegemom82

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Does anyone know if the 6000 character limit is with or without spaces (for the Statement Of Purpose/Essays)???

Thanks!
-Arabic/Jordan

#46 wonkish

wonkish

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Program:MPP/MPA

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

Without.

#47 collegemom82

collegemom82

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

Thank you :-) I ended up seeing the answer to my question on the application. DUH :lol:
-Arabic/Jordan

#48 Monica Bowcut MacDonald

Monica Bowcut MacDonald

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:04 AM

I just submitted my application, and have to get my other supplementary materials in by Friday. Can I just say aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

#49 collegemom82

collegemom82

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:43 AM

Doesn't it feel great having it done!!!! I have everything done except the suplemental materials, which I will drop off to my advisor on Thursday.

Goodluck!

Delecia
-Arabic/Jordan

#50 collegemom82

collegemom82

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

Fellowship deadline today! Scholarship deadline about a week away!!! Everyone ready?

My application is submitted! I am so nervous, and so excited at the same time!
-Arabic/Jordan

#51 kbui

kbui

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • Program:Fulbright ETA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

So I just handed in all my application and supplementary materials!!! I'm so nervous. I special requested my study abroad adviser to spend the money to send it overnight rush delivery. Now it's just waiting for a couple months. Meanwhile, it's time to work on the Gilman and other smaller scholarships! I applied for both the summer and yearlong Boren, so hopefully my hard work for will finally be paid off.

Hope everyone who's been treading the forum great luck in these upcoming months. :)

Boren Blog in Taiwan

Applying (2014-15)

Fulbright ETA to Thailand (Recommended)

Yale School of Public Health (Accepted)

Link to Fulbright Recommendation & Acceptance Spreadsheet. Please use with respect.

#52 StephanieM

StephanieM

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
  • Program:Boren Scholarship

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

So I just handed in all my application and supplementary materials!!! I'm so nervous. I special requested my study abroad adviser to spend the money to send it overnight rush delivery. Now it's just waiting for a couple months. Meanwhile, it's time to work on the Gilman and other smaller scholarships! I applied for both the summer and yearlong Boren, so hopefully my hard work for will finally be paid off.

Hope everyone who's been treading the forum great luck in these upcoming months. :)

Don't get sad if you don't get the Gilman... I didn't get it, and cried my eyes out thinking, well, if the Boren is the more prestigious one of the two, then I won't get the Boren! But I did get it!

#53 collegemom82

collegemom82

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:57 AM

Congrats on getting your materials all submitted! It sure is a great feeling!

I am working on the Gilman and some otheres too, but the next couple months waiting to hear about the Boren will have me on edge!

Goodluck everyone!
-Arabic/Jordan

#54 collegemom82

collegemom82

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:04 AM

I want to give a HUGE thanks to RiverGuide!!! He has been immesnly helpful during this ENTIRE application process, he has spent god only knows how many hours reading my essays as well as giving me feedback. I had not received much feedback from my insitution on my essays, until recently, so having River there to help was greatly appreciated! So in the future, if you need anyone to read your essays, River is the guy! He also happens to be very knowledgable with the Boren application process.

THANKS!
-Arabic/Jordan

#55 Monica Bowcut MacDonald

Monica Bowcut MacDonald

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:58 AM

I really have to second this thanks to Riverguide. I feel like I had a little bit of direction here that otherwise would have been flying completely blind. I hope a year from now I'm able to be as helpful to future applicants because I made it too!

#56 collegemom82

collegemom82

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:14 AM

Monica -

What is your language/country of proposal?
-Arabic/Jordan

#57 kbui

kbui

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

Don't get sad if you don't get the Gilman... I didn't get it, and cried my eyes out thinking, well, if the Boren is the more prestigious one of the two, then I won't get the Boren! But I did get it!

Really?! That's surprising since we assume the Gilman would be easier! I hope everything goes well with the Boren. Do you have any advice on the Gilman of what to do or what not to do? :)

Boren Blog in Taiwan

Applying (2014-15)

Link to Fulbright Recommendation & Acceptance Spreadsheet. Please use with respect.

#58 riverguide

riverguide

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationThe River...

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:07 AM

Thank you ladies for the very kind comments. I hope to see you at the reunions and the job fairs...

Edited by riverguide, 06 February 2012 - 01:07 AM.

Accepted: Harvard, Georgetown, & SAIS Fall 2013.

My Choice: JHU SAIS

#59 kbui

kbui

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:04 AM

I can't believe I applied to both the summer and academic year Boren scholarships! Boren sent me an email (I almost died) saying that I can only apply for one program, and that they are giving me a chance to change my academic year program essay if I want to by Friday. I don't know if this is a good sign or not.

Boren Blog in Taiwan

Applying (2014-15)

#60 StephanieM

StephanieM

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
  • Program:Boren Scholarship

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

I would say it's a good sing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users