Anyone else applying to Ed programs this year?

t_ruth

Our deadlines seem later than a lot of the science programs, so I think I'll be waiting until February (at least) before I hear something, but just wanted to see if anyone else here was waiting with me. :)

Happy New Year!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how's your search going? when do you come to visit/interview?

It is frustrating (and frightening) to see all the posted acceptance notices from other programs at the schools to which I am applying. I can't seem to think about anything else...

Last admission cycle, I expressed interest in the programs early in the fall, before applying. I was invited to visit to both programs in December. A few days before the app deadline, one of the schools actually called me to ask if I was still planning to apply, and if so, would I mind sending it as soon as possible because they were looking to get started on them? That happened right around the first of the year, so from what I can tell, the Grad Cafe forum and results will really start to pick up probably as early as next week.

Some people who read this will probably want to jump out of their tree when they read that I actually visited before applying, but as I mentioned in another thread, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

This time, I'm applying to programs that are better suited to my interests (education policy) after finishing my MA in Ed Psych. My interests evolved after I began this current program. I more or less did the same thing; expressed interest a few months ago and then visited, and then applied. I'm currently enrolled in my program and also teach at my university, so I have to really juggle my time when I visit these places.

Harvard is pretty clear that they don't do interviews, so I don't anticipate hearing from them until the very end. As far as the others, who knows. They may call for an interview if they are on the fence about me, or may not...but don't expect an interview unless they told you specifically that you'd get one.

This may not help much, but I found it useful to focus my time/energies on backup plans while I waited to hear... :wink:

backup plan? don't have one...

try again next year i guess...though who knows what I could change. You know my story from our PMs :) hopefully it will work out for both of us.

Well of course! I don't mean to suggest that you'll NEED the backup, just that it is a way to distract you while you wait ;-)

Or, planning a vacation, doing a fitness challenge, picking up a new hobby...all things that could take your mind off it (to some extent).

yep! all good suggestions. unfortunately, my days consist of hanging out with my toddler and seven-month-old, which leaves lots of time for thought...um obsessing...

especially when I'm up in the middle of the night for multiple hours with only said thoughts and baby for company. maybe there will be something good on tv come January ;)

Hello,

I am actually re-applying this year, but only to Stanford. I sent an e-mail today that asked if I could add updated information to my application, and the admissions officer said it might be possible, but to "please keep in mind that your current application may have already been reviewed as it is now almost one month after the application deadline". This makes it seem like decisions COULD be made early, though last year I only heard back in mid-March.

good to hear from you jpark! I applied to Stanford, the deadline was 12/16, but I haven't heard anything yet. Not that I expect to hear this soon, because the early notifications seem to be the definite 'yes' people (judging by the results search here). Getting in to Stanford is such a crap shoot even w/perfect numbers, etc. and I certainly don't have that...

this of course does not stop me from refreshing email constantly and feeling like I'm sitting by the phone waiting for my jr. high crush to call.

Hi all - I'm also applying to education doctoral programs (ed policy specifically), and am already getting tired of the waiting game!

I did my master's at Harvard GSE and have several friends in the doctoral program there, so I kind of have the inside scoop on their admissions timeline. They do say on their website that decisions will be available in March (in the past it's said between March 1-15 for doctoral - they're not being as specific this year). I know that some friends who have applied in the last 2 years have gotten an email directing them to check the online application system for their status on a certain date (the email is usually sent a week or so ahead of the specified date). That email usually is not a good sign - I don't think that anyone I've known who has had to check their status has been accepted. The people I know that have been accepted have either received a phone call from their potential advisor (usually one of the faculty members you listed on your application) or have received an email in mid-late February. When I got into my master's program there, the admissions FAQ said applicants would be notified on March 30th - I got an email around March 15th informing me that I was in. So basically, if you're in, they're going to let you know early. But just to caution - this is the way they've done it for the last 3 years or so, and who knows if they're going to do it the same way this year.

I also applied to Stanford - and I totally agree that it's a crap shoot. I'm already preparing myself for a rejection from there, mostly because I'm not sure I'm a good fit with any of the faculty members there. But who knows...

I am - HGSE arts in ed. It's a long shot since I have no education background at all. I run a theater company and have been trying to develop our education and outreach program and integrate it with our community/schools/blablabla...

but before that there is the waiting to hear part.

(back to the obsessive e-mail checking)

I'm so jealous of all the Psychology peeps who aren't Ed. Psych and are hearing things. Why oh why do Colleges of Ed. have to notify later than everyone else?

I wish I knew - I think the Ed people want us to suffer. It really is hard to see all of these other programs posting results while we just sit and wait. I thought I was the only person stressing about decisions -- until I found this board of course.

Hi guys,

I am applying to the doctoral programs in some top schools of education. Being an international student I have relatively low GRE verbal (470), but my GRE quant. is 800, and the TOEFL score is 98.2 percentile (112). LORs sound good. Do you think those top schools have quota for international students? Also, I have two publications in one of SAGE's encyclopedia, do you think that will help?

Also, do you guys think Stanford School of Ed. is more selective than HGSE?

Thanks in advance

for some reason it seems that Stanford is more competitive - is their program smaller? that would account for it...

I have no idea about the international student thing though, sorry. Good that you have publications already! I have none, and my GRE is 650/760 (v/q), which I guess isn't that bad, since 650 is 93rd percentile in verbal I believe.

What specific program are you applying for?

Hi MagicLogic,

Your TOEFL score looks great.. I don't know what the average verbal GRE for international students are, but I know current int'l students in my phd program who prob did not pass the TOEFL. I am actually in a program right now, and 3 out of 11 are international students (UCB).

Stanford is really really competitive; it surely helps to have your publications.

I have heard from 2 schools in the last 5 days. The results came via email - 2 interviews.

Congtats! Have you posted the results? If not, do you mind sharing what schools & programs?