UT Austin Acceptances should be coming soon

Supernovasky

My SOP and Writing Sample really focused more on the quantiative, social research side of things... I have a very, very specific thing I want to research when it comes to sampling a population of people's internal ideas... I just hope SOME university picks me up!

My SOP and Writing Sample really focused more on the quantiative, social research side of things... I have a very, very specific thing I want to research when it comes to sampling a population of people's internal ideas... I just hope SOME university picks me up!

UW is heavily quantitative, maybe you'll have a shot there. It seems like that would be a good place.

Why no Penn State, Supernovasky?

Well, I had a simple formula. I only had 500 dollars to spend on applications...

so 90 dollars a school (50-75 for fee, +20 for GRe scorse)

1 SUPER safe school - LSU

2 "on par schools" - UW and UC Boulder

2 "reach" schools - UT-Austin and Ann Arbor

More I think about it I should have just done 4 "on par" schools and not erached at all, but then again, thats never how I've lived.

A UT Austin aceptance would make my world right about now.

UW, in my opinion, is the same level as UT. Schools 10-20 ranked all seem to be lumped into the same breath and Washington is a top 20 university.

Boulder is more of the mid-range (I believe it's high 40's).

Either way though, all are good schools and in cool places to live. I also applied to both Seattle and Boulder.

Yup.

Hi --------,

Thanks very much for your interest in our program. While your application was viewed favorably, this year’s applicant pool was particularly competitive. As a result, we are unable to offer admission to you and many other impressive applicants for 2012. I’m sure you will find a program that meets your needs as well or better than the University of Texas.

Best wishes for your ongoing academic success.

-------------------

1 down, 4 to go.

3.88 GPA (undergrad gpa)

I do not remember my GRE scores exactly but it was something like 5.5/6 for analytical writing, 85% for Verbal, and really bad for quant. I think 50%...?

I took the GRE in August

No publications, but I have submitted a solo article to a journal for review.

Gender/Sexuality/Sexual Violence/the Body/Masculinity/Culture/Family

They all overlap a bit...so I guess Gender more generally and qualitative research

I was also a D1 athlete at my university, which could have played a role.

I just got another e-mail from UT (from the office of admissions) denying me again!

I feel like someone shut the door on my face already and now they just re-opened it to shout "AND STAY OUT!" and then slam it twice as hard haha

Same here, haha. UT Austin rejected me 3 times.

y'all might find this post interesting.

Awesome, thanks for the link. I hope this spurs a lot of discussion in the comments section. OrgTheory is awesome when people are engaged in the comments section for posts like these.

Fabio also has a book 'Grad Skool Rulz' that's $2 I bought a while ago. It's worth the 2 bucks. I suggest checking it out http://orgtheory.wordpress.com/grad-skool-rulz/

One thing that s/he says that I disagree with is:

If the applicant is interested in social work or activism, academic sociology isn’t a good fit.

Is that necessarily true when you're applying to public sociology programs? I guess I agree if you're looking at Ivies or top-20 schools, but places focused on public sociology might look at this differently.

One thing that s/he says that I disagree with is:

If the applicant is interested in social work or activism, academic sociology isn’t a good fit.

Is that necessarily true when you're applying to public sociology programs? I guess I agree if you're looking at Ivies or top-20 schools, but places focused on public sociology might look at this differently.

Applied sociology has always had a pretty bad rap. That said, it's getting more respected and attitudes about this vary across academia.