The official EE Graduate Admission Results 2009 Thread

inactive_since_inf

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am aware of three reasons that people drop out of PhD programs with a Masters:

1) They only intend to get a Masters in the first place and apply to PhD programs just to get better funding options.

2) They get a better idea of what getting a PhD is all about and decide it isn't for them. As an undergrad you are exposed to a wide range of ideas that are well understood. In grad school you get very narrowly focused on ideas that are not that well understood. You are very commonly asking yourself (Do I care about this? Do I really want to put a big stamp on my career tying me to this work?)

3) They fail the PhD examinations and are forced to leave with their Masters.

4) They finish their dissertation before the professor is willing to let them go, and have to choose between 2-3 more years under said professor or skipping out with the masters early. This happened to a friend of mine.

I mentioned this in the Civil '09 thread as well, but it would be really helpful if some of you EE folks who have already heard from schools could post your stats (GRE, GPA, research, and acceptances/rejections..) in the 2009 profiles thread stickied at the top of the forum. It would be nice to get a coherent picture of what it takes to get into different grad schools. :)

Anybody know what's going on with UCB EECS? like when they'll make their final decisions?

I know that they've sent out admissions/rejects twice now over the last two weeks.

Anybody with any information with when the final decision can be expected?

I feel like the acceptances posted on the stats page are not very clear. I mean some explicitly say for comp arch. or CE. But, most don't say much, so we really don't know which subdivision in UT Austin, UCB or Stanford is sending out replies (rejects and acceptances).

I guess that's why many of us are still waiting to hear from these places ... but I think our time will come in the next two weeks ....

Hi,

I have applied to Purdue for PhD in nanoelectronics. How difficult is it to get into the program? I am an internatioal student with a GPA of 3.8 (university ranked in top 30 in the world) and a GRE score of 800/710/4.5 (Q/V/AW) and about 3 months of research experience in a top research institution. What do you think are my chances of getting in??

Anybody know what's going on with UCB EECS? like when they'll make their final decisions?

I know that they've sent out admissions/rejects twice now over the last two weeks.

Anybody with any information with when the final decision can be expected?

I am also waiting for their results. The main thing that I like to know is, who they first offer some admission then some reject some people, again some offers, and so on.

Any more Stanford acceptances except for the 4 on the results board? I think the CS applicants are a lot more active on these than the EE applicants!!!

Still keeping my fingers crossed for Stanford!!

Do not in hurry for Stanford. Today, I talked with them. She told me they definitely won't release the final decision. I think this week we should wait for UC Berkeley :oops: , then have a rest for one week before Stanford's results :oops: .

If I will be rejected from both of them :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yeah I was pretty sad after being rejected from Berkeley...*sigh* At least the process for me is almost over, and I can start thinking about the future.