Marine Sciences

Bionerd2012

I've gotten responses from TAMU and USF, and know that several programs have already hosted or sent out invitations to interview weekends. The only program I haven't heard from is VIMS, but the application was due in mid-January so its still early for them.

Where did you apply?

@Bionerd I applied to the Master's program, but there were plenty of PhD applicants at the recruitment weekend I was at too. I only applied to USF, TAMU, and VIMS. I can't speak for any other programs, but definitely e-mail the grad secretary, Dawna, at USF if you have questions about your application. She is incredibly nice, helpful, and usually quick to reply!

Hi,

Also, here is what I have learned from emailing the schools.

OSU (COAS): They are making decisions now, still can't get an answer on when they will be sent out.

URI (GSO): Rolling admissions, no word on when they will be sent out.

UW (Oceanography): They are trying to make all decisions by March 5th.

Cheers

You aren't necessarily rejected from USF. I don't think all the professors who wanted to meet applicants got to invite them, for budgeting or other reasons. Official decisions should be sent out in the next week-ish, but if you're feeling impatient (which I don't blame you for haha), go ahead and e-mail them!

I don't know how it would work with professors getting in touch with an applicant. I had established some kind of e-mail correspondence with POIs at all my schools before I applied, even if it was just to establish that they were open to taking on new students. So they already knew I was interested and vice versa. But like sansao said, don't automatically assume you're rejected! Especially since you're an international applicant, that process may be handled completely different from domestic students.

I don't know how it would work with professors getting in touch with an applicant. I had established some kind of e-mail correspondence with POIs at all my schools before I applied, even if it was just to establish that they were open to taking on new students. So they already knew I was interested and vice versa.

I did the same thing, at least 3 faculty members per school, sometimes more. The one school where I wasn't very successful with faculty correspondence was also the school that already rejected my application.

Well I guess time alone will tell. Really bummed and discouraged after getting the first reject.

One rejection's not so bad. Just keep focused on the other schools now. :)