Hearing from the Kennedy School?

wabbitt09

Oh, I'm not upset at all. These choices are entirely personal; I hope I didn't upset you, Zourah. I believe you said you didn't even apply to WWS, correct? That's a shame -- would have been nice to meet you!

I was trying to respond to the earlier question: why would someone choose HKS over WWS (the question might have been worded differently)? I jumped on "location" as a reason because it seemed like pretty weak tea to me; obviously, if I loved Boston and/or winters, I would think being located in Cambridge would be a huge upside!

That post seemed a bit bitchy as it's part of my genuine search for a reason for a generic high-quality applicant to go to HKS over WWS. Clearly, if there is a programmatic reason to go to HKS, (professor you'd like to work with, opportunities for cross-disciplinary classes, etc.), or if you'd prefer to be surrounded by other graduate students rather than younger peeps, or you can't live with yourself for "giving up Harvard," or any other number of reasons, you would want to go with HKS. They didn't offer me very much money at all (compared to full ride + stipend at WWS), so I didn't even really have the opportunity to grapple with some of these issues.

I just hate seeing really smart people with huge potential spending over 100K for an education in public policy. There's got to be a better way.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe all of you guys who have got at least one admission have made your final decision. Could you guys please share with us your successful experiences?

I'm a graduate student and should have been finishing my PhD in physics this summer. I applied to HKS for 2009 admission but was rejected. I have to postpone my thesis defense to 2010 so that I have time to try again. My background: GPA 3.2 undergraduate, 3.6 graduate. GRE (V 680,Q 800)expired, GMAT 790. 3 papers in physics, and one years work experience as R&D director in a manufacturing company.

My desired schools: of course HKS first and also need your suggestion for more to secure me an admission in MPP. coz I'm transferring from science to public service.

I believe all of you guys who have got at least one admission have made your final decision. Could you guys please share with us your successful experiences?

Check out this thread, where most of us listed our stats, applications/results and final choices. I know there have been a few other science-y people on the board, though I'm not one of them. I'd say your GRE/GPA look fine, so it's going to be a matter of having solid recommendations and a statement of purpose that really illuminates why you need to follow a sci PhD with an MPP and where you're looking to go with that. Best of luck.