Hearing from the Kennedy School?

wabbitt09

Well its encouraging to hear from younglions, MCneelified and a few others who will probably go to WWS, thereby giving some hope to us on the waitlist. I thought that might be the case. I am in a weird spot because I am in at SAIS and MSFS, which would probably be better for me than HKS given that I plan to do the Foreign Service but my SO will prob be in Boston, so that means I'll either have to take my offer at Fletcher or try to get into HKS. I used to be more enthusiastic about Fletcher, but it has waned for some reason. Maybe because everyone at the orientation seemed like they wanted to go to Kennedy instead.

Well its encouraging to hear from younglions, MCneelified and a few others who will probably go to WWS, thereby giving some hope to us on the waitlist. I thought that might be the case.

Wouldn't their decision to go to WWS actually work against you since their spots would not open? For what it is worth, a spot just might open as I am still teetering back and forth on my decision.

Wouldn't their decision to go to WWS actually work against you since their spots would not open? For what it is worth, a spot just might open as I am still teetering back and forth on my decision.

Why would their spots not open at HKS if they decided to go to WWS? And if there is anything I can do to convince you to give up your spot just let me know :wink:

Why would their spots not open at HKS if they decided to go to WWS? And if there is anything I can do to convince you to give up your spot just let me know :wink:

Haha sorry I misread. I thought you were referring to spots at WWS opening up. I didn't apply to HKS :) Too bad there isn't a referral system where someone who turns down a spot could nominate someone else.

Ah yes that would be brilliant. Although it would put a lot of power in the hands of the nominators!

Well yeah, but then this forum would become quite the marketplace - "I'll give you my HKS if you'll give me your MSFS with aid package."

Can you imagine the chaos?

Speaking of aid, is HKS one of those places where people on the WL have no shot at funding? If so, it may not be worthwhile for me to wait around...

Fellowships are supposed to be doled out April 3, so while need-based aid might still be available to WL, I'm pretty sure everything will have been distributed before they even begin looking at it. This is only my speculation based on the chronological order of these things - no more sophisticated analysis involved.

I'll make that trade! I have 2/3 tuition at MSFS for both years. Any takers? :lol:

I would so take that. I don't know what my K school aid will be yet (see above), but I'd love to be in DC and yet neither SAIS nor Elliott have really charmed me yet. That, and Georgetown just felt right when I visited a couple of years ago. Accursed wait list!

Honestly, waiting for the MPA decisions are taking forever! I don't even know if I got in, but seriously! I am actually considering NYU now. Going to NYC tommorrow on a vaca and may pass by the NYU campus. If I fall in love, I may not care about KSG anymore and accept there instead!

What the heck are they doing? Personalizing all the letters or sealing each one with a kiss???

Fortunately I just got a phone call from Ms. Martinez and she explained to me that they could not admit every qualified applicant. I'm not sure they said the same to everyone, but I will re-apply for 2010 admission. any other feedback you guys got?

So, has the time come to start placing bets on when we will hear about financial aid decisions on April 3? I say 12:03 a.m. EST on April 3. My SO keeps reminding me about the heartbreak of March 13 and continues to hint that I should not expect to hear on April 3. I'm just ignoring that logical advice.

Actually, does anyone know if we will hear by email? Or will decisions only be available on the MYFAID portal?

So, has the time come to start placing bets on when we will hear about financial aid decisions on April 3? I say 12:03 a.m. EST on April 3. My SO keeps reminding me about the heartbreak of March 13 and continues to hint that I should not expect to hear on April 3. I'm just ignoring that logical advice.

Actually, does anyone know if we will hear by email? Or will decisions only be available on the MYFAID portal?

The letter definitely made it sound like it would simply be via the portal. I'll stake my bragging rights on it coming shortly after close of business on the East Coast (let's say 5:22pm EST that day). No disgruntled calls from non-recipients, and it keeps with their pattern of wonky notification times.

My guess is that recipients of a public service fellowship will receive a personalized letter in the next couple of days. All others will have to log into the MYFINAID site to find out their status on Friday. I'm betting that information will be available after 7:00 pm on Thursday. Otherwise, the financial aid office is going to be bombarded with phone calls from admitted students on Friday morning asking them about the status of financial aid awards.

By chance, has anyone logged into their MYFINAID account the last couple of days and checked their messages?

Will you lucky guys share with us your background? I will reapply, so I really need your kind information.

thanks

I think everyone intends to post in the "final decisions" thread eventually - we're just still panicking about where to go for a while longer!

Linden - The March 13th date was pure speculation. The April 3rd date was announced by Harvard, and I can't imagine them not meeting it.

As for when we will hear, I'm guessing close of business Friday. I'm also guessing that I won't receive much.

Good luck to everybody!

My guess is that recipients of a public service fellowship will receive a personalized letter in the next couple of days. All others will have to log into the MYFINAID site to find out their status on Friday. I'm betting that information will be available after 7:00 pm on Thursday. Otherwise, the financial aid office is going to be bombarded with phone calls from admitted students on Friday morning asking them about the status of financial aid awards.

By chance, has anyone logged into their MYFINAID account the last couple of days and checked their messages?

Ha, ha, loved your question, fes_alum. As if though you had to ask... :lol: I must admit I have been checking, just in case...

Regarding the public service fellowship letters, is this is a hunch? Or this is inside info?

Linden - The March 13th date was pure speculation. The April 3rd date was announced by Harvard, and I can't imagine them not meeting it.

As for when we will hear, I'm guessing close of business Friday. I'm also guessing that I won't receive much.

Good luck to everybody!

younglions, if you (and sisepuede) don't receive a decent aid package, I am not sure who will. And, I know that HKS issued the April 3 date; I just don't want to get my hopes up that I will hear something that day.

Ha, ha, loved your question, fes_alum. As if though you had to ask... :lol: I must admit I have been checking, just in case...

Regarding the public service fellowship letters, is this is a hunch? Or this is inside info?

Linden--letters/emails (re: public service fellowships) is just a hunch. Also, the reason I asked about checking messages at MYFINAID is because I had a message that was posted last Friday stating, "The scholarship you received is for the current academic term only... and so on." As of this morning, the message has been removed. I just hope it isn't some sort of sick joke on behalf of the financial aid office.

I think I am less likely to get a big funding offer from Harvard than a place like Chicago, Fletcher, or (of course) WWS.

From my understanding, most of the HKS scholarships (that is, for all of the ones for which we had to write essays), merit decisions are made completely blind of your application. Unless an item appeared in your scholarship essay or on your resume, the award committee is completely unaware of it. I think my relatively high GRE scores played an important role in getting me into WWS and getting a big scholarship from Chicago, but I obviously didn't include my scores on my resume or in my essays. I no longer have that important "distinguishing factor" working for me.

Linden--letters/emails (re: public service fellowships) is just a hunch. Also, the reason I asked about checking messages at MYFINAID is because I had a message that was posted last Friday stating, "The scholarship you received is for the current academic term only... and so on." As of this morning, the message has been removed. I just hope it isn't some sort of sick joke on behalf of the financial aid office.

fes_alum:

It sounds positive to me. (I am not sure if others had something similar show up, but I did not.) I am sure that HKS only realized this morning their were giving you information ahead of schedule. I wouldn't pop open the champagne yet, but I would certainly start chilling the bottle if I were you. Good luck!

I think I am less likely to get a big funding offer from Harvard than a place like Chicago, Fletcher, or (of course) WWS.

From my understanding, most of the HKS scholarships (that is, for all of the ones for which we had to write essays), merit decisions are made completely blind of your application. Unless an item appeared in your scholarship essay or on your resume, the award committee is completely unaware of it. I think my relatively high GRE scores played an important role in getting me into WWS and getting a big scholarship from Chicago, but I obviously didn't include my scores on my resume or in my essays. I no longer have that important "distinguishing factor" working for me.

younglions:

I thought they also offer a handful of fellowships to reward academic accomplishment. I cannot believe most people would be able to beat your GRE-GPA combination, even if your essays for the other fellowships don't impress the socks off the award committee.

In any case, this is almost over. Just a few more days. :)

younglions:

I thought they also offer a handful of fellowships to reward academic accomplishment. I cannot believe most people would be able to beat your GRE-GPA combination, even if your essays for the other fellowships don't impress the socks off the award committee.

In any case, this is almost over. Just a few more days. :)

Yes, they do offer some scholarships (Dean's and Kennedy, and most likely presidential and PSF) based on academic achievement and professional distinction. I assume GRE is taken into account here, but I know it's not for any scholarship that required an additional essay.