No BA in art, can I still get into an MFA program?

kxxx

I currently attend a college with entirely self-designed concentrations (everyone gets a BA in liberal arts), but as mine is particularly interdisciplinary I definietly do not have nearly the foundation as someone who pursued a studio art major. Is it entirely out of the question for me to get into an MFA program? I've heard many people say field experience is, especially financially, far better than grad school for visual art, but because I pursued other academic endeavors (critical theory mainly with printmaking on the side) in my undergrad I really want to spend a few years concentrating on art in an academic slash structured setting.

As my school didn't even have printmaking facilities (I had to take courses at neighboring schools), my portfolio is not huge and in the end I'm just not that experienced. Anyone have advice? (And also some ideas on good printmaking MFA programs that are well-funded?)

Edited by kalekh

yes, artists can get into an MFA program without an art degree. It sounds like you're probably not ready to apply yet, as most MFA students have been practicing artists for years, exhibited in a couple dozen shows, and have been out of undergrad for 3-8 years. Even almost all new graduates with BFAs in studio art are not ready for grad school immediately, so I would work on getting more experience before applying.

If you want a few years of experience and institutional resources, maybe you can get into a post-bac or spend two years to get another bachelors in art.

If you can, post your artwork or a link so we can give better advice.

• 10 months later...

Perhaps doing a year of Post Baccalaureate study is what you need to do.  I went to a school with a great Post Bach. program. I went on to get my MFA with scholarships.  It's called The Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts in Old Lyme, Connecticut.  It's a small art college that focuses on representational painting drawing and sculpture but has a very MFA esque studio-critique environment. In the Post Bach. program you build a series of work  that is critiqued by your choice of faculty and peers. It is an amazing program with world famous faculty.   The program is designed to prepare students for graduate school. You might want to check it out.

Yes you can. Some schools, such as Brooklyn college, Hunter, NYU strongly prefer or require an undergrad degree in studio art. But there are plenty of great schools that don't. It will likely be about finding the right fit / program.

I currently attend a college with entirely self-designed concentrations (everyone gets a BA in liberal arts), but as mine is particularly interdisciplinary I definietly do not have nearly the foundation as someone who pursued a studio art major. Is it entirely out of the question for me to get into an MFA program? I've heard many people say field experience is, especially financially, far better than grad school for visual art, but because I pursued other academic endeavors (critical theory mainly with printmaking on the side) in my undergrad I really want to spend a few years concentrating on art in an academic slash structured setting.

As my school didn't even have printmaking facilities (I had to take courses at neighboring schools), my portfolio is not huge and in the end I'm just not that experienced. Anyone have advice? (And also some ideas on good printmaking MFA programs that are well-funded?)

do you go to Hampshire College, by any chance?  i went to Smith, and what you describe just happens to sound like Hampshire.

some schools really appreciate an interdisciplinary approach/background and really like when an applicant has other interests and experiences besides studio art.  it would help, however, to have some life experience post-BA before applying to grad school.  travel experience seems to be especially valued by some MFA programs, so if you can get an interesting travel opportunity post-graduation (especially one that incorporates art in some way-- check out some of the printmaking/book making programs in Itay) that could be very beneficial.

as for your portfolio, you definitely want to have at least 25 or so strong works going into the application process that you can then pare down to whatever number each school requires.  you don't have to have only printmaking in your portfolio for printmaking programs, either.  just use your strongest works.

i also wanted to add that you don't have to have been in "a couple dozen" shows, etc. as Michael suggested, to get into grad school.  to get into the utmost elite schools, yes, maybe, but for a regular/good school your portfolio is of primary importance. some schools don't even ask for a resume, anyway, so they wouldn't even know what shows, etc. you've been in.  so please don't let that discourage you.  that held me back for a long time, thinking i had to be in dozens of shows before i could even apply to grad school, and it turned out to not be true.

Edited by Emoree

I didn't mean that you have to have exhibition experience, I was just trying to paint a picture of what experience an "average" MFA applicant has.  Its true, exhibitions don't matter at all, the portfolio is really the thing that matters.  Interdisciplinary knowledge is really important too, but I was getting a vibe that the original poster didn't really have a strong idea of what the art field is now, and applying to schools "blind" is tough.  More specifc experience within the art field (classes, crits, internships, exhibitions, etc.) would result in a far more successful application process, as those kinds of experiences can push your work.  I know I did tons of research for years and I still wish I would have made a few different choices on schools to apply to.