Material Science PHD fall 13

ankurshah

Hi, I have been admitted to the PhD in Polymer Sci & Engg program at UMass Amherst and PhD in  Material Sci &  Engg program at Georgia Tech. I would appreciate any pointers about how should I choose between the two programs, both ranked well in their respective fields. Most of my research is in the area of synthesis and characterization of polymers but I would like to explore upcoming fields as I work towards my PhD.

Thanks!

PS: I already started another thread with the same question but thought it would be very helpful to get views of people on this thread!

i called Upenn's materials science admissions office and they said that they had over 320 applications to process... They havent made any decisions yet and the results will be out by end of next week..

So much for that, I guess. I can't believe they haven't posted decisions yet. Highly unprofessional.

Anyone else visiting Northwestern this weekend? I see lots of big schools in the visiting students list. Should I be worried that I am coming from a small school? Thanks!

Anyone else visiting Northwestern this weekend? I see lots of big schools in the visiting students list. Should I be worried that I am coming from a small school? Thanks!

I'll be there, but why would you be concerned coming from a small school?  You've already been accepted, Northwestern now has to sell itself to you. 

Hey guys,

I've been admitted into ASU Materials Science and Engineering program. But I got admitted to a Master's program instead of PhD :(

I'm currently pursuing my Master's degree at Texas A&M University. Do you think it was a mistake on the department's part?

Hey guys,

I've been admitted into ASU Materials Science and Engineering program. But I got admitted to a Master's program instead of PhD :(

I'm currently pursuing my Master's degree at Texas A&M University. Do you think it was a mistake on the department's part?

Hi!

I think it is better you contact the admission committee.

Do you have any news about admission results of Texas A&M? Thank you for your time.

Hi!

I think it is better you contact the admission committee.

Hey shafiee,

Yeah I plan to call them on Monday. 

Do you have any news about admission results of Texas A&M? Thank you for your time.

As a matter of fact, I did ask the graduate coordinator about the decisions some days ago. She said they are still reviewing the applications. I'm sure they will be giving out admissions pretty soon. Admittedly, things have been pretty slow regarding admissions because, a new Materials Science department has been announced, and there is a lot of paper work going on with respect to that. I suggest you to contact the graduate coordinator for details. She is  currently busy, but will reply back to you once she gets some breathing space.  Good luck! 

I am totally losing my mind..Still no news from about 5 schools and I don't know if it is a good news or a bad news!!. all of them are still under review!!....I have seen some people have posted some rejection from some of these schools in the result section, does this mean that I may have a chance to be accepted to them? 

Please, I will be glad to know your opinion about my case if you had experienced this situation...Isn't it late yet? 

Thanks guys.

Edited by avirgo

^ same here bro. Need to hear back from 6 out of 8, and out of those two, One of them gave me a Masters admit, the other has put me on a waitlist. No word from the others. 

Yes it is the exact reason that makes me nervous! what is happening to this year's Materials admissions? I mean even very low ranked schools give admission to international students very hard...and of course late...

got a reject from u minn just a while back, 4 rejects... i think not knowing is better :(

oh man come on..knowing is better...it is better than fruitless hope! and in addition when there is a decision at least you know that they have considered your application, but when there is nothing you may wonder if you are even in their short list. 

Edited by avirgo

• 2 weeks later...

Still no news from University of Pitt. Just saw 2 admits on the results search of this website, which means they have already notified those who are admitted.....Not getting any notification probably means either rejection or wait-listed....:(((

okay, now I am new to this forum, and I see that most of the discussion is about US university programs. Can someone throw some light on the admission scene to the MASc Materials Science program at University of Toronto? 

A bit of my profile stands as below

TOEFL: 114 (the only test score UToronto has asked for)

UG GPA: 8.29/10 (Chemical Engineering)

UG University: BITS-Pilani

Applied to: MASc Materials Science and Engineering

1 poster presentation in International Conference, 1 poster presentation in a national seminar, 1 oral paper presentation in International conference

Research in Nanomaterials 

More of my research and resume can be found at https://sites.google.com/site/mynanodomain/

LOR: 3 good ones

SOP: More focused on Nanotech research 

Can someone give me an idea as to what are my chances of getting through? 

• 2 weeks later...

UG : from a mediocre Govt. college India

PG: wishing a good Univ.   :rolleyes:

CGPA: 9.1 GPA: <3.8 in US system

GRE: 163/160/5.0 

TOEFL: 111 iBT

What are my odds..  :(

reading earlier posts just sank my heart.

help  :unsure: