Material Science PHD fall 13

ankurshah

I have two holiday type deals this Spring, and both will be used for trips. I should be able to get 3 or 4 trips in during those dates, so it's not all that ambitious. Contrast the schools you applied to and the schools I applied to, and then who seems more ambitious :D

Edited by ChemPhysMatSci

One person got in Feb. 2 last year...it's still pretty early. A couple people in march 2008...though that's a long time ago. Seems like a lot of schools let in a bunch of people early, and then some have a second round a week or two later, and then in march they let in a few more along with all the rejections..

You'r right. But the further rounds are like lottery i think.

I am not that inrerested is UCSB ( generally not in MSE any more as I'v become more device orientated ) though it hurts :D

UCSB sent an email yesterday asking to register for their recruitment weekend by Jan 21 with faculty preferences so they can setup interviews. But recruitment weekend isn't until Feb 28 - March 2, so after Jan 21, I think they could still inform some people in the next few weeks. I don't think it'll take that much time to organize interviews...

any idea when Cornell might start giving out admit for internationals?

Well Cornell is one of those schools where Faculty get students by themselves -at least I am 100% positive about that in Electrical Engineering-

If you have a green light from a professor then you're fine and if not your chances are very low.

I was accepted to UCSB in the first round of admissions on Jan 9th which is great, because they are my first choice. I still havent heard from UIUC, Northwestern, UC Berkeley, and ASU. It doesnt matter too much. Ill probably commit to UCSB as soon as I see a legit funding offer other than their general "Nearly 100% are covered."

Haven't heard from anywhere yet besides UIUC. Like I said, decided to skip UCSB, though now I'm wishing I had applied just so I could maybe have heard from somewhere else by now ^_^  just waiting to see who I hear from next. Here's what I can glean from the results for my schools, if anyone is interested:

Stanford MSE - Last week of Jan/First week of Feb (One year was as early as Jan 22, usually around Feb 1)

MIT - Seems to have a few early Jan but nobody has said they heard this year. Mostly late Jan/Early feb. In previous years as late as second week of Feb. for main group. Seems to accept a few in March as well. Crossing my fingers and hoping they haven't already sent out.  :D

Northwestern - Late Jan/Early Feb. Last year had some on jan 30/31 and some feb 11/12. Usually by phone. A few interviews? (maybe more for international students?)

JHU - Not really enough info. Maybe late first or second week of feb, also many in march. I think they do some interviews. They probably get quite a few applications since their fee is free for US applicants (protip for those applying next year, a great program to apply to with no risk). 

I was accepted to UCSB in the first round of admissions on Jan 9th which is great, because they are my first choice. I still havent heard from UIUC, Northwestern, UC Berkeley, and ASU. It doesnt matter too much. Ill probably commit to UCSB as soon as I see a legit funding offer other than their general "Nearly 100% are covered."

You're at ASU right now, aren't you? I was called by a faculty member and they said that decisions would be in January. Any idea on when they're going to start?

Also, grats on UCSB. I'm in the odd position that I don't really have a favorite -- I wanna go where I will get to work with a good faculty mentor doing research that interests me.

This link is really helpful: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=materials&t=a&o=&pp=25

^Thanks for foreverfree for posting that elsewhere. Looks like ASU, Purdue, and Michigan have been somewhat active. Now I'm excited and anxious :S

Edited by ChemPhysMatSci

Im a Physics undergrad, so I dont know too much about their timeline. I do get to see the status of my application though through the MyASU page, and it still says under review. I dont think they have passed anyone up yet. ASU has an amazing microscopy lab, so if thats your interest, I highly recommend it.

Edited by rbbennet

You're at ASU right now, aren't you? I was called by a faculty member and they said that decisions would be in January. Any idea on when they're going to start?

Also, grats on UCSB. I'm in the odd position that I don't really have a favorite -- I wanna go where I will get to work with a good faculty mentor doing research that interests me.

This link is really helpful: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=materials&t=a&o=&pp=25

^Thanks for foreverfree for posting that elsewhere. Looks like ASU, Purdue, and Michigan have been somewhat active. Now I'm excited and anxious :S

They have started the application review process, I am told by graduate chair last time I saw him. If you have a faculty memeber who can send a note to Dr. Alford saying he/she will support you for at least 2 years he will process your admission right away.

Otherwise, it will take time. And the Materials Department doesn't have much money on TA unlike Physics department. In physics Peter Bennett is going to give you a hard time for admission :D

PS. if you want to do research on anything else than electronics or Microscopy I don't suggest ASU.

Edited by Radian

Hey I got into UCSB too, during the second round of admissions this past week. Congrats. Which faculty members are you thinking of scheduling your interviews with for Recruitment Weekend? I'm thinking of Chris Palmstrom and Susanne Stemmer as my top two, and maybe Ram Seshadri. I'm leaning very heavily towards UCSB as well, so I'll probably see you around Feb 28. 

Haven't heard from anywhere yet besides UIUC. Like I said, decided to skip UCSB, though now I'm wishing I had applied just so I could maybe have heard from somewhere else by now ^_^  just waiting to see who I hear from next. Here's what I can glean from the results for my schools, if anyone is interested:

Stanford MSE - Last week of Jan/First week of Feb (One year was as early as Jan 22, usually around Feb 1)

MIT - Seems to have a few early Jan but nobody has said they heard this year. Mostly late Jan/Early feb. In previous years as late as second week of Feb. for main group. Seems to accept a few in March as well. Crossing my fingers and hoping they haven't already sent out.  :D

Northwestern - Late Jan/Early Feb. Last year had some on jan 30/31 and some feb 11/12. Usually by phone. A few interviews? (maybe more for international students?)

JHU - Not really enough info. Maybe late first or second week of feb, also many in march. I think they do some interviews. They probably get quite a few applications since their fee is free for US applicants (protip for those applying next year, a great program to apply to with no risk). 

I can't tell you how much time I've wasted on that results page searching different spellings of each school, lols. Late jan / early feb can't come soon enough...

Hey I got into UCSB too, during the second round of admissions this past week. Congrats. Which faculty members are you thinking of scheduling your interviews with for Recruitment Weekend? I'm thinking of Chris Palmstrom and Susanne Stemmer as my top two, and maybe Ram Seshadri. I'm leaning very heavily towards UCSB as well, so I'll probably see you around Feb 28. 

I sort of took a broad approach. I specifically requested to interview with Seshadri, Pollock, and Bowers. If possible, Id also like to talk to Heeger or Chabinyc as it seems they collaborate quite often. I have a thin film background, so I am trying to branch out for my PhD.

They have started the application review process, I am told by graduate chair last time I saw him. If you have a faculty memeber who can send a note to Dr. Alford saying he/she will support you for at least 2 years he will process your admission right away.

Otherwise, it will take time. And the Materials Department doesn't have much money on TA unlike Physics department. In physics Peter Bennett is going to give you a hard time for admission :D

PS. if you want to do research on anything else than electronics or Microscopy I don't suggest ASU.

I'm interested in nanomaterials and electronics. I've emailed two professors about my interest in their work (about a month or two ago). Should I go ahead and email two others to see if I can get the ball moving more rapidly :S

they're decent but not top 20. depends if there's someone doing research you're interested in.

thanks about the review, i did like few prof's project and research profile. I  was impressed by ICE with the Chem.E profs