Programs that specialize in History of Collecting?

jpngrl

I'm in the middle of applications and my focus is looking at the history of collecting in America during the 19th/20th centuries. I am specifically looking at smaller, more focused MA programs that teach material culture (BGC, Winterthur, Cooper-Hewitt), but I'd also like to expand my options by applying to universities that maybe have a professor that specializes in this area or whose curriculum offers a more oriented focus on the objects, makers and markets involved in collecting and material exchange. The problem is, I can't find any! (anyone rec Columbia or UPENN?) US or UK schools are fine, and ideally in a city.

Since everyone on this forum has such varied experiences, I'd love to hear your opinions as to which programs/schools I should do more research on.

In addition, how closely do admissions people look at how the subject of your writing sample relates to your intended program? The chapter of my thesis that I'm submitting deals with Japanese illustrated encyclopedias, which I tie in with my interest in collecting, but I'm anxious that they'll only focus on the subject over the quality of my writing. Is this just me freaking out?

Finally, how would you guys recommend tying in three summers as a tour guide at a historic home? I call myself a 'historic interpretor' on my CV, but do you think this is something that admissions people want to hear about in a SOP or should I leave it alone?

Thanks everyone!

There might be some professors/grads at UCLA who have interests in what you mention. Rochester's Visual Culture program has anthropologist Robert Foster who focuses on commodity/material culture, Also, UC Irvine's Visual Studies program has Benamou who looks at cultures of preservation,

I know there are a few people at UC Santa Barbara who work on collecting. I am specifically interested in early modern European collections, but check out their faculty page. Also, I know the University of Wisconsin has a material culture program that's heavily focused on American topics, so that might be a good place to look as well. Also check out Jason Weems at UC Riverside.

I think if your work as a "historical interpretor" has shaped your interest in collecting, then you should absolutely mention it in your SOP, but don't dwell on it. And I think the quality of your writing sample should trump the subject. If you weren't in a program for your undergrad where anyone worked on collecting, then you wouldn't have a writing sample with that subject. You could maybe explain in one sentence in your SOP why you chose an unrelated writing sample, but I would recommend using your strongest writing, rather than choosing by subject. Good luck!

Thanks for your advice! I'll check out those programs, but if anyone had recs for the East Coast, that would be great.

Also, would someone be willing to look over my SOP?

Sorry, on the west coast again, but USC has a special certificate in the history of collecting and display as part of their graduate program in art history. The Getty Research Institute has lots of resources in this area. On the east coast, you may want to find out which New York program works most closely with the Frick's Center for the History of Collecting in America.

Haha yes, the more theoretically heavy art history / visual studies programs do seem to tend to proliferate out on the west coast. Or in SoCal specifically.

I don't really know much about the NY academia scene. Yes, Anne Higonnet at Barnard works within your realm of interests, but I don't know if she actually teaches or advises at Columbia. And not east "coast" per se, but Buffalo is pretty well regarded for its theory, but if being location-specific with your choices, I don't know if it's any better a spot than Rochester.

It sounds as if the OP is not theory oriented, but truly interested in the actual history of collecting. Try Delaware also. The Institute of Fine Arts is basically next door to the Frick reference library and has intensive connections to the Met, so that might be a good place as well.

• 2 months later...

If you are still interested, the History of Art Department at the University of Glasgow offers an MLitt in the History of Collecting and Collections. I don't know anything about it but could be worth looking in to.