SLP Fall 2014

Hey everybody! I have been following these Forums for the last 5-6 months and am excited to be part of the applicant pool for the upcoming year! To get to know everyone, I'd like to start a discussion reviewing some GRE/GPA scores if willing to share and where everyone is hoping to get in!

I am starting my Post-Bacc at Portland State University in a few weeks... I got my undergrad from the University of Vermont (English, Child Psychology), left with a 3.19, Honors in major, and 3.4 in the last 50 semester credits, so I am returning for a second Bachelor's in Speech and Hearing Sciences and push for a 4.0. Figured it was a fair trade to improve my GPA and also qualify for some of the schools that only consider Speech and Hearing majors. I am presently studying for the GRE's, plan to take them the end of August and hoping to get above a 150 and ideally in 160's but I have a lot of studying to do :) I am a certified Montessori teacher and have worked in the classroom for 3 years, worked as a language tutor for 5 & 6 year olds, and volunteer at a local Speech Clinic. I'm hoping to open more doors once I move to Portland, there are some really interesting research programs. 

I am applying to pretty competitive schools so far but that may change when fall rolls in and my GRE scores become a reality as with my Post-Bacc GPA. My parents basically told me if it's not a top 25, I have to take out a loan, so I plan to buckle down these next few months and give it my all! I'm looking at University of Washington-Seattle, CU Boulder, Boston U, Emerson, MGH, UNC-CH, Northwestern, San Diego State, and Portland State. Most of these are long shots, but I figure if I don't get in for next fall I can at least take the year to pay off my Post-Bacc loan and try again :)

Where is everyone applying? What inclined your interest in SLP?

Hi NCAR823!

Sounds like you've got some great experience and have got things really planned out! :)  The "Fall 2014 Newbie Talk" thread has a bunch of us who are looking to apply to grad school this year - you should check it out!

My stats are as follows:

-3.9 undergrad GPA (English and Secondary Education - my English major GPA was 4.0) + Honors Program

-Masters from Northwestern in Advanced Education (Literacy focus - my thesis related to struggling readers and steps that can be taken to help them improve their literacy) - Had an A average for GPA but don't remember exactly what it was

-5 years teaching experience all in an inner-city school

-At my school, I've served on the RTI committee for 3 years which is what helped me become interested in SLP

-Numerous other unrelated volunteer experiences

I'm also currently studying like crazy for the GRE and will be taking it in August too!  Good luck!

Welcome, NCAR!

Funny enough, I am a current undergrad (senior) at Portland State University. We will likely be taking most of the same classes, since it is your "leveling year" and my last! I plan on taking my GRE in late August. I have been trying to prep, but I think I am beginning to feel the summer burn-out with other events I am taking on during summer. It makes it that much harder to stay focused, especially with self-motivated study.

My current stats are as follows:

3.78 GPA (Hope to bring this up in the upcoming year)

Honors College

Undergraduate researcher in the Language and Cognition Lab

McNair Scholar, post-baccalaureate achievement program

Leadership fellow, student and leadership activities

NSSLHA treasurer-elect for upcoming year

Neuroscience club vice president

Also, I just learned my research proposal was accepted to be a poster presentation at this years ASHA conference in Chicago, first authored paper, first time attendee

4+ years managerial experience in banking

several years of related and unrelated volunteer experience 

I am looking at the following programs (In no particular order):

Vanderbilt, UT Austin, Northwestern, U of Cincinnati, UW, UC Boulder, PITT, U of Arizona, SDSU, MGH, Rush, U of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

Though the list is rather extensive, I am still on the fence about a couple of them listed. Like many others in our situation, I am looking for (1.) Quality as determined by my interests (2.) FUNDING =)

Wow your credentials look great!! I'm excited to start at PSU and have more of an SLP network! I have been looking at test dates for GRE and have been putting off the commitment. It just makes it so present. I am studying almost 2-4 hrs each day but not rigorous so I don't know how much my time can be accounted for ;).

Have you started drafting any of your applications or essays? I'm spending my summer nannying a boy with rhotacism who I'm attempting to counsel... Trying to figure out how and whether to incorporate it into my essay as language coaching without seeming bombastic or naive.

Did you find your research position at PSU easily? I've been looking into OHSU but the one research that applied to my interest was full. I applied to another clinic that may have space in December they said, so Volunteering at OHSU's classroom may be my closest option. I'm trying to get some lab and research experience under my belt to strengthen my credibility so if you have any resources I'd be grateful.

Hey NCAR- I am having the same issue with studying for the GRE. I feel behind, but only according to my own, made up standards...which basically follow the principle of: There is no such thing as too much studying! =) Forgive me if I have already asked, but what resources are you using for studying the GRE? I am just going off the free practice booklet provided on the ETS website. It doesn't really help with explanations, but youtube seems to have a wealth of informative, instructional videos.

About the applications, (long story short): NO. haha! I really feel like I should be drafting something,but I only have about a week and a half to finalize language sample encoding for my summer internship. Then, I have ASHA to prepare for. I will have one month summer vacation, which will be solely devoted to GRE/essay drafting, on top of ASHA preparation. My mentor was very staunch in his attitude toward starting the SOP so early (I respectfully disagree, but I do have more time-sensitive, closer-to-deadline projects at the present moment). 

In terms of my research position, it is unpaid, but so, so worth it. I was lucky enough to be accepted into the McNair scholar program, which forced me to go out into the department and find a mentor who could guide me through my own independent research. Basically, someone who knows what they are actually doing to help guide me/grade my updated papers/laugh at me when I try to sound smart/etc. I feel so fortunate to have been given this opportunity, but it is not an impossible one! Actually, a couple of labs are looking for unpaid student help. The experience is invaluable and the amenities are worth every unpaid second! Just go to the SPHR website, http://www.pdx.edu/sphr/home

and go down the list of faculty and click on their CV/Interests. Unfortunately, the website is a bit junky, but the manual work will pay off. Then just go from there....email professors, call them, do what you have to do to show them you are interested in working for free in their lab. 

Oh yeah, I forgot to preface that information with: I hope you are willing to work unpaid, because even MA students have difficulty securing funding at PSU (from what I hear). It is MORE than worth it, though.

I hope all of this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

L.

Sorry for the lack of picture!

My name's Rachel, and I live in Houston, Texas. Here are some of my stats/why I want to be a SLP, etc.

Stats: 

*3.9 GPA -2 Bachelor's Degrees-Spanish and Communication Sciences and Disorders from the University of Central Florida

*GRE: 147-Quant, 160-Verbal, 5.0 Analytical Writing.

I know my math score isn't stellar, but I think the others overshadow it. I used the Kaplan guide (found it to be marginally helpful), the Cliff Notes Math For Standardized Tests (awesome, although not comprehensive; a great review and well-worth 10 bucks), and my favorite, Manhattan Prep's 5 lb book of GRE Practice Problems (literally, 5 pounds of practice! not much in the way of review, but ENORMOUSLY helpful, especially in the writing section and for more complex problems the others don't cover).

Experience:

I have been a Spanish teacher to high school students, preschool (Montessori), and school-age (elementary school) students, as well as a tutor.

I lived in Spain for 6 months and taught English at a K-12 charter school that had integrated classrooms with supports for children on the autism spectrum.

In undergrad, I worked in a day school that served children with cerebral palsy. I also did volunteering, tutoring, and student teaching related to teaching (since SLPA positions weren't available to undergrads).

I am currently working as an early-childhood intervention home health speech language pathology assistant (what a mouthful!). I LOVE my job! I treat 85% of my clients in Spanish. I drive to their homes, I have 10 clients, and it's been an excellent opportunity to get to know families and patients, as well as a new culture (I studied in Spain, but now I'm an expert in Mexican customs! :) ). 

On my caseload, I have kiddos with severe autism, apraxia of speech, mixed language disorders, artic from chronic ear infections (formerly hearing-impaired), and typical delays as well. My supervisor is a guy (what a rarity!) who has 13 years experience and has taught me so much about making materials and how to make therapy successful!

Research Interests:

Culturally/linguistically diverse populations, (bilingual) literacy, accent reduction/modification, child language, learning disorders, ECI (early childhood intervention), creating culturally-sensitive (unbiased) materials for therapy

Where I'm applying:

8 schools (my undergrad institution and 7 in Texas): Texas Christian University, Texas State University: San Marcos, University of Houston, University of Texas: Austin, Texas Woman's University, University of North Texas (Denton), Our Lady of the Lakes University, and University of Central Florida. The grand majority of those schools have a focus in bilingual speech-language pathology.

My first choice are Houston and San Marcos, but I would LOVE to get into TCU or UT Austin as well. The others are safety schools (especially the ones in Denton, since they don't offer bilingual/multicultural specializations).

Anyone else applying in Texas? Anyone else focusing on the bilingual component? Anyone stressed about studying? I'd love to hear from everyone! :)

Rachel 

Hey Rachel! Your experiences are so cool. I speak Spanish and Portuguese and considered looking into bilingual options but don't know how sufficient my language skills are to qualify for most programs. I also worked in Montessori, which is where I found my interest in literacy and phonetic development. I think I may ultimately go into a Ph.D. program, something that incorporates translation of thought into language, but that will be further down the road in my education. I also looked into UT Austin when perusing the programs but have to limit myself to 10 :) 

5 lbs of a book sounds like a work out! I have also utilized Kaplan, have been taking the class since June and took a practice test this afternoon and my Quant. score increased 10 points which was really reassuring. 

I am working at the Hearing Speech and Deafness Center in Seattle right now and am organizing a series of presentations for the YMCA and preschool teachers on language difficulties, development, and intervention. In our part of the world, it is typical to have bilingual students, but most who speak Hindi or Chinese. Some of the SLP's I am working with really want to put emphasis on this topic as sometimes children having trouble are excused for their bilinguality.  Any thoughts on something to include in the presentation? 

Ahhh, it's finally here, the 2014 thread! :) I've been following the 2013 forum for a while and was waiting for the time when I could jump in! I'm also a post-bach student taking courses at Cleveland State University. I have a bachelors in business administration and worked in advertising for a few years and decided I needed an outlet, but into something that would have meaning to it. That's how I landed on SLP. Here's my situation:

I didn't do too well in undergrad and am kicking myself in the rear for not being a diligent, forward thinking student. My GPA was 3.09 in undergrad, and I'm hoping to make it to at least 3.8 with the post bach courses I'm currently taking. Which actually brings me to my question- does anyone know if my total gpa when calculated for applications will consist of my business + speech pre-requisites, or will they be seperate? If anyone could answer that I'd appreciate it:)

Moving on, I'm currently a tutor for elementry children for a government funded organization, and will be volunteering at the Cleveland Clinic Childrens Rehab Center starting September, I anticipate getting 100 hours of volunteering this semester. That's all I've got going for me so far.

I'm currently studying like a maniac for the GRE which I will be taking on August 21. My goal is to aim as high as possible to redress for my not so great gpa. Each day it gets closer I have to remind myself to keep calm and keep on going!

As far as where I'll be applying, oh boy. EVERYWHERE. My fiance will be matching for residency in March. He's applying this fall for interviews, and I'll be applying for grad school, both crossing our fingers that we end up in the same location so we won't be forced to be in a long distance marriage for 2.5 years. So, this is a crucial time for both of us. :unsure: Ideally, I'd for us to end up in Chicago, but given our situation, ending up in the same state as my fiance is more than I can ask for!

I look forward to getting to know everyone!  Let the games begin! :D

Poonam

NCAR823,

I think it's awesome that you work in a Montessori school! It was a brief experience for me (about 5 months as the twice-a-week Spanish teacher), but it had a lasting impact on me. The creative learning style, the independence, and the behavior of the children was remarkable! I'm considering sending my future offspring to one after such a positive experience teaching there! :)

As far as bilingual programs go, you should try if it's something you're interested in. The demand is enormous, and there are 3 companies I know of (Bilingual Therapies, EBS Healthcare, and another one I can't think of right now) that offer scholarships for people who gain entrance into a bilingual master's program, provided you work for them for a year or so after you graduate.

I love the idea of eventually pursuing my PhD as well! (It seems we have a lot in common :) ) I found an awesome one at University of Texas San Antonio (and a similiar one in San Diego as well) that focuses on LIteracy, Culture, and Language (my three favorite things :) ). Depending on how things go, I might go the school-setting/home-health route for a few years and go back to school :)

As far as the question about your presentations, I would put that not only are words different in different languages, but so are ways of thinking. For example, my boyfriend always asks me if I have "hen (chicken) skin" (piel de gallina) and if I didn't know Spanish, I might look at him strangely. But since I do, I know he means "goose bumps/flesh". It's something small, but it just shows you that people in different cultures have different schema for interpreting their world, and these cannot be ignored.

Most people (even those who have high levels of proficiency in all their languages) tend to dominate in one or the other. They may have splinter skills in some languages (able to speak, but not read and write, or vice-versa). But I think the most important thing to stress is something you probably already know: There is a huge difference between language differences and language DISORDERS, and this is largely undertaught to schoolteachers (most of them learn educational theories that are tried and true on middle class Caucasian children and therefore are culturally biased or failing to take into account a myriad of confounding factors.

There are a ton of articles on ASHA to this effect that could also help you guys. But knowing things like the fact that /l/ and /r/ in Chinese are allophones helps us to realize that a Chinese child calling "rice" "lice" is doing exactly what their brain has been trained to do in their native language :)

I wish you the best of luck in applying and keep me posted! :)

Rachel 

PKCD - Each school has its own system for approaching GPAs, so there's no hard-and-fast rule I can offer you. I can say that most schools take a holistic approach to reading an application, so if you have a high post-bacc GPA, good GRE scores, and significant work experience since undergrad, you'll certainly have a shot at acceptance to grad school.

TerapistaRae and NCAR - The concept of language influencing thought is pretty controversial in linguistics circles (just google "Sapir-Whorf hypothesis"), so definitely be prepared to cite your sources if you plan to present on how language shapes one's view of the world! It's definitely important to understand the phonological system of a language if you are evaluating a bilingual child - "l" and "r" are in fact allophones in Korean, while /l/ is it's own phoneme in Chinese and what's written as /r/ in English spelling of Chinese words is actually two separate phonemes, depending on whether it occurs at the beginning or end of a word.

I think a good piece of wisdom for evaluating bilingual children is that evaluations should take place in their native language. It's certainly possible that the child's difficulties with English are due to not having learned it, but if the difficulties are due to a language impairment that affects both languages, you want to make sure the child receives assessment and intervention in the native language. Like TerapistaRae said, asha.org has TONS of great resources on bilingual and culturally diverse populations. Many speech and language textbooks contain chapters on bilingualism, so if you have access to a university library I'd recommend taking a look at some of those. Here's a good starting point: http://www.asha.org/practice/multicultural/

Terepista & Gandalf- thanks for the insight. I'm working with 3 SLPs on the presentation but none of them are bilingual so it's cool to hear first hand experiences. The more I explore the facets of SLP and even Audiology, the more I want to get my feet wet and know everything. Bilinguality would be awesome, I just have to take a language test to be sure my Spanish or Portuguese is at that level. The speech and hearing sciences are truly fascinating and the knowledge is utterly endless!

Pkcd- my undergrad GPA is also short of what I want it to be. However, I've been exploring this forum since the last batch of acceptances and what Gandalf said is true. There are some top 10 schools that will overlook a relatively low undergrad if the postbacc, SOP and experience make up for it. When I was an undergrad, I had my interests but wasn't career directed. It has taken me the last 3 years to become certain of the field I want to master in and to drive full speed ahead. That being said, I have to make up for those undergrad years with my GPA and my GRE, but I am ready to make that priority. Also, remember to apply to a range of schools just like in Undergrad. Have some reaches and some safeties. It never hurts to be diverse :)

Hi!

I'm super excited to be part of this thread! I've been reading through the old posts from last year's cycle and can't wait to finally exchange info about this upcoming admission cycle!

I'm currently studying for the GRE - probably not as rigorously as I should be- but trying to :) but since I payed a good amount of money to simply register I will try my best!

I'm taking it at the end of September and hoping to apply to SDSU by beginning of October. Their admission for Fall 2014 opens really early. Anyways, here's a run-down of some of my stats:

1. Undergrad Senior at Cal State East Bay majoring in Speech-language pathology so I'll be entering the Master's program as a 2 year applicant

2. Undergrad GPA of 3.4, Major GPA at 3.8

3. Accepted as a research fellow for the 2013-2014 year. Research is about children using Augmentative and Alternative communication devices and the efficacy of these on language opportunities in their environment.

4. My experience in the field includes 7yrs as a behavioral therapist for children diagnosed on the Autism spectrum including management experience. This includes collaboration with SLP's on the child's case.

I'm hoping my GPA isn't too bad considering some of the other facts.

I'm planning on applying to:

SDSU

SJSU

SFSU
CSUEB (east bay) - require GRE

CSUS (Sac state) - require GRE

Thanks Gandalf! I'm going to make the best of what I can!

NCAR- I love your optimisim in your first post. Often times we are setting strict deadlines to things where we have a do or die mentality. I should think more like you, if not this year, next year it is. But of course hopefully there won't be a need for the wait:)

Katha- your application looks very solid so far! Keep it up, I'm sure you won't have issues getting into your choice of schools. I noticed in the list of schools you plan on applying it says "requires GRE" or is blank, do those other schools not require the GRE? My understanding was that it is a requirement for all programs.

Edited by Pkcd

Thanks! I'm praying for SDSU!!!

The other schools do not require the GRE for acceptance. I'm currently attending Cal State east bay and taking classes concurrently with graduate students who had other majors. So while we are all taking the same courses together, the grad students are taking care of their pre-requ's of their first yr in their Master's program and the undergrads are completing their bachelor in the major. None of them have taken the GRE. 

So really, I'm only taking it for SDSU and CSUS.

Gandalf-Thanks for the refresher! Although I know firsthand about evaluating clients in their native language (my boss only knows English and I frequently evaluate Spanish-speaking clients under his supervision), I'm two years out of undergrad and a bit rusty! :)

Hi everyone else! Good luck on your application process! :D

Hi Everyone,

This will be my last semester as a SLP undergrad!. I will hopefully be applying for some spring semester programs and some fall 2014. I am currently studying for the GRE and im planning on taking it in about a week, but considering pushing it back since my scores are within the 145-150 for math and 146-148 for verbal, ugh. (any advice please?!!)

I have a pyschology degree with a 3.47 gpa, psi chi membership

ABA certificate with a 3.58 GPA

I am currently being supervised for BCaBA hours,

i have been on research teams through my psych major

i have experience working as a instructor for children who have ASD

my last 60 units currently is a 3.5, my slp is a 3.2 (ugh losing focus for stupid reasons)

I will be applying out of state, considering applying to florida, mainly east coast, since california schools are highly competitive.

I hope to get two letter of recommendations that are in my favor, and one maybe so-so, we shall see.

any advice...

Hi SmartyPants14!

Regarding your GRE - have you tried to study vocabulary at all for the verbal section?  I found that really helped bring my score up.  There's all sorts of vocabulary lists online and books that you can buy that have lists of vocabulary words frequently used on the GRE.  I'm still struggling with the quantitative section too; however, I worked my way through this book and found that it really helped me brush up on a lot of my skills.

Hope that helps!

Hello Everyone,

I am applying for fall 2014 as well.  I am Canadian, and i will be applying to American schools as well.  Katha, i believe CSU East bay does not require GRE.  I know because i plan on applying there.

Asemoooo,

You're right. CSUEB doesn't require it. I'm happy to hear you plan on attending there! It's a great school. Just be aware that they don't offer a great deal of night classes and mostly will have a set course schedule of classes smack right in the middle of the day which makes it nearly impossible to work. 

The faculty is really knowledgable though and cohorts are very small and supporting of one another. Also, the school is on a quarter calendar schedule which is awesome if you work well under pressure and it feels like time flies by. But if not, it can be pretty stressful. I remember going over the syllabus in the first week and having a midterm scheduled for that following week already!!! Midterm? Not really. So be prepared to study, study, study ALL THE TIME for three months straight. 

Ps: And also, avoid moving to Hayward if you can. It's not the best city to live in, in the bay area. ;)

Thanks Katha for the great info on CSU East Bay.  I am not really sure if i have a chance anywhere.  I don't have a strong gpa.  Canada's grading system is brutal, and it is extremely difficult to get such high gpa's.  So, i will just keep my fingers crossed.

Hi Asemooooooo!

Same here! I'm from the Philippines and was at the top of my class. But because of the different grading system and standards, my GPA seems low when converted to American GPA. I'm just trying to be optimistic that the admissions people will consider my background and experience more than the numbers. 

Good luck to us!

I took the GRE and bombed it, so scratch applying for spring and just aiming for fall. Ima take the test again in October maybe November and kick ass in it cause no test is gonna beat me!! lol

Anyways with my stats how they are I'm hoping I at least have a shot at some Florida schools

How competitive do you guys think the pool will be for fall 2014?