Nuclear programs Fall 14

1535nuke

Hi guys, let's keep updating posts in this thread. It is so hard to find nuclear engineering students.

These are my application status and results.

MIT - waiting

Michigan - waiting

Texas A&M - unofficial admission from committee (Ph.D). Fundings not determined yet.

UC Berkeley - waiting (department staff said the results will come in late Feb. but I do not expect good results. The professor I had made a contact does not accept students this time)

NCSU - waiting (Do not expect good results. Same reason as UCB)

Btw, I am an international student with 3.7/4.0 GPA (3.85/4.0 in major) and graduated this month with a BS degree in nuclear engineering. My GRE scores are V/Q/W - 152/170/3.5 (Yeah.. not good enough). I have 1.5 years of research experience; university lab (1year), nuclear based research institute in another country (4months) and now working at a domestic nuclear based research institute. I have no publications but won several competitions related to my major and won scholarships every semester.

I am still waiting on Michigan as well, they are going exceptionally slow. Wisconsin got back to me within 3 weeks of submitting the app.  I will go to Michigan if accepted, otherwise its Wisconsin for me.  I too interviewed with Berkeley and I visited there last year under the Edge program, but they do not have enough opportunities in plasma physics for me.

BTW,

I am a mathematics major w/ 3.85/4.0 GPA.  V/Q/W = 158/164/5.5 .  I worked in a plasma physics lab last summer, but did not publish anything.  Have several research presentations in computational mathematics and plasma physics.  I am wanting to do plasma physics in graduate school as well, hopefully either fusion or electric propulsion related work.  PRefer experimental work but theory is fine as well.

Wow, good to see you posting here!

I do not know much about plasma physics since my undergraduate study was focued on fission reactors. Anyhow, congractulations for being accepted from Wisconsin and good luck with Michgan!

According to what I've heard from Michigan is that the number of applications is 155 and they are still reviewing them. Some applicants may have offered an interview. I hope this give yous some info.

BTW, may I ask if you are going to choose Michigan even they give you a Master of Science admission? I believe you have applied to the Ph.D program. As I heard, MS admission does not offer any fundings and you need to reapply for the Ph.D program if you want to continue your study. (Not 100% sure though)

Wow, good to see you posting here!

I do not know much about plasma physics since my undergraduate study was focued on fission reactors. Anyhow, congractulations for being accepted from Wisconsin and good luck with Michgan!

According to what I've heard from Michigan is that the number of applications is 155 and they are still reviewing them. Some applicants may have offered an interview. I hope this give yous some info.

BTW, may I ask if you are going to choose Michigan even they give you a Master of Science admission? I believe you have applied to the Ph.D program. As I heard, MS admission does not offer any fundings and you need to reapply for the Ph.D program if you want to continue your study. (Not 100% sure though)

Wow, where did you hear the number of applications?

And no, I won't go to Michigan without funding.  It is out-of-state tuition, so a master's degree would probably cost $80,000. not acceptable, haha.  I would go to wisconsin if that happened.  I have also applied for a fulbright fellowship, so I will choose that over anything else if they accept me.

Well, I asked the department about when the results will come out and they said they are reviewing now and told me there are 155 applications...

Anyway, good luck for the remaining ones and lets keep posting here if the results come out!

Here's mine:

A&M: waiting

UTK: accepted

Penn state: waiting

Florida: waiting

MIT: waiting

I think I won't get into A&M- similar to the situation above, professor I'm interested in has a long list of students already working for him and waiting on funding

Good to see some other nuclear students posting

Cool! Good to see you 1535nuke.

All three of us got at least one admission until now. This is good! Maybe we will be able to meet in a conference in the near future lol.

Best wishes for the remaining ones. Also best wishes for myself~

I am interested in computational reactor physics. To be specific, Gen4 reactor calculations for optimal designs or feasibility analysis of new-concept reactors. Or, improving the existing methods of Monte Carlo simulation codes for better accuracy and faster calculations. This will be determined by which university I go.

My application status

MIT - waiting

Michigan - waiting

UC Berkeley - waiting 

Wisconsin - waiting

Tennessee - waiting 

PennState - waiting

Btw, I am an international student with 8.7/10 GPA, my TOEFL score is 91, a BS degree on nuclear engineering and I will get MS on eletrical engineering in July. My GRE scores are V/Q/W - 144/161/3.0. I have more than 3 years of research experience with 8 conference papers, 4 journals (one accepted in Nuclear Technology) and a fellowship.. Three very good recommendation letters..

Wow. April............

I cannot (will not) wait until April... Thats beyond my patience. Mid March will be my limit. Also some institutions ask to decide whether to enroll or not around late March, aren't they?

My understanding is that at some point in the past most schools all agreed to have a uniform date of April 15th but I'm sure that some want an answer sooner. I don't remember where I heard this though.

Another MIT admission. Search the result. His (or her) GPA and GRE scores are perfect...

However, one thing to remind is the two results came out in mid Feb...

Would this be because they were PhD applicants? Will they also send an email notifying rejections?