Lafayette, LA

armchairette

I am seriously considering offers from universities in Tampa (USF) and Lafayette, LA (Louisiana).  While I am very familiar and comfortable with Tampa and the USF area,  I really know nothing about Lafayette.  Because I'm in my final semester of my MA in another state, I'm not able to visit before making a decision.

Is anyone attending Louisiana or living/working in Lafayette? What would you say is a reasonable monthly rent for a small apartment near campus (studio or small 1 bed)?  Are there affordable, convenient, and nice/safe apartments that are pet friendly?  I've been offered funding, but am not certain if I could actually survive on what they are offering (around 15K) without taking out a small loan for at least the 1st semester.  

Is it possible to survive for at least a short time without a car?  I sold my car before starting my MA program and would love to hold off on such a big purchase right away.

Is there a grocery store convenient to campus?  An Episcopal church?

What is the library like?  How active is the Graduate Student Association/Organization/Union?

If it helps, I'm in my late 20s, single, never married, no children.  I would prefer no roommates, but would consider one if I had to.  I've lived on my own before.  I have two cats and a dog, but the dog will likely stay back at home until I can afford a place w/a yard.  If I had to, I could leave the cats at home, but would prefer not to.

• 2 years later...

Hello! I'm currently living in Chicago but have received an offer from University of Louisiana-Lafayette. Can anyone tell me what Lafayette is like? Any suggestions on where to look for an apartment or house to rent? I'd rather not be surrounded by undergrads. Also, we don't need a car in Chicago, but I'm guessing we will need one in Lafayette. Has anyone lived there without a car and made it work? Thanks in advance!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is apparently a super old post, but I'm going to respond anyways in case someone else needs this info later. I did my undergrad in Lafayette, and I've lived here for three years since. 

As far as apartments go, there are plenty near campus, and I'd say a one bedroom/studio could run from in the $600s-$800s. Public transportation sucks, but we're becoming more bike friendly. A couple of the apt. complexes even have their own buses that shuttle you to campus. Some apartments may be closer to grocery stores than others. But a car is a bit more necessary. 

The library is three stories. I'm not really sure how great it is though because I didn't spend much time there because I got an art degree. The campus is fairly small though, which I enjoyed.

Just in general, Lafayette is a very friendly town. And the culture here is so different to anywhere else. The food is amazing. There's lots of diversity in music. And you should also just google Festival International de Louisiane and Festivals Acadiens et Creoles.

• 3 years later...