Comp/Lings, Lex. Linguistics courses

JD - (0)

Hello fellow linguist, or soon to be linguists, 

I am currently well, finishing my theses in a lexicographical review, however, I never formally took any courses in lexicography. So, everything that I know so far is from analyzing dictionnaries, and reading books. I would like to either attend a school that has lexicographical courses, or just attend lexicography courses elsewhere. 

Do you know any schools within the continental United States that offers lexicography as a course, or a set of courses? 

Or any course that are offered that I could attend, it doesn't have to be in the continental United States!

Thank you very much.

• 4 months later...

This is a pretty old thread, but I'm not aware of any standing courses in Lexicography at US universities.

This summer the LSA Summer Institute will have a 4-week course in "Computational Corpus Lexicography" http://lucian.uchicago.edu/blogs/lsa2015/list-of-courses/ which may serve your purposes well (if it's not too late to take it a year after you asked!)

Last summer it was $1720 for up to five courses: http://lsa2013.lsa.umich.edu/about/registration-information/ and you're on your own for housing.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to the summer institute, but if I do I probably wouldn't take the Corpus Lex course because that is my main background. The whole LSI idea depends a bit on what kind of feedback I get in my MA-or-PhD application process (I'm applying for Fall 2015). I have a professional background in computational lexicography and I'm heading toward research in computational lexical semantics,.

Thanks for posting this! I hadn't heard of this program.

$1750 sounds like a pretty good deal. Especially if it gives students the opportunity to study under the likes of such a wide list of teachers, whom they usually wouldn't have the chance to come across.

Has anyone who has done the program speak to the quality of the program, the size of the classes, what kind of hours are required, and/or who the advanced courses are intended for?

Edited by Ziggyfinish