Info or Advice for MPA/MPP

someguy67

Hello,

I've been contemplating applying to MPA/MPP programs for about a year now. I have not applied to any yet as there are so many different opinions and attitudes regarding these programs. First some background about myself. I graduated in December of 2012 from a small state school in Pennsylvania with a BA in Philosophy. My overall gpa was 3.9 and my major gpa was 4.0. I did not take any economics or statistics courses. My only work experience has been in retail. Due to my lack of applicable work experience and quantitative courses I do not believe I have a shot at any of the top programs. Therefore I have been looking at schools like Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Maryland, American, etc. I am leaning towards the MPP because I would like to work analyzing or researching social policy, particularly in poverty alleviation or human rights. I am concerned because it appears that many people believe these lower ranked schools are not worth the time and money. Would anyone recommend attending a lower ranked MPA/MPP program? I do not want to waste 2 years and 50,000 dollars and end up right back in a soul crushing retail job. I would greatly appreciate any advice or info. Thank you. 

I feel like each of the schools you mentioned (I've personally researched American and UMD for the same policy fields you're interested in) are still well-known enough institutions that attending their MPP programs would not relegate you to lower-tier policy work. For example, I work at a social policy research organization in DC where the experts' educational backgrounds vary from Harvard Kennedy and University of Chicago to George Mason and what do you know, Rutgers! :)

If you research more into this subforum you will find other posters commenting that once into their post-graduate careers, less people cared about where they got their degrees and more about the skills and experience they bring to the table. No one will deny that HKS and SIPA look great on a resume and are highly ranked for good reasons, but you also can't deny a fundamentally sound (and accredited!) curriculum from a state school. All in all I'd say it depends on the type of work you see yourself doing in the future: priorities differ between high-level research at a think tank or federal agency and advocacy at a local NGO. Funding may also be a significant factor.

You can also research these schools for their internship and employment placements: 
https://www.publicpolicy.umd.edu/career-services/current-students/job-and-internship-resources/internship-and-employment-report

http://policy.rutgers.edu/academics/pp/positions.php

https://www.gspia.pitt.edu/Portals/0/2012%20Employment%20Data%20for%20Website.pdf

A lot depends on your goals and how you use the program to meet those goals.  It's one of the reasons why work experience is helpful, because it helps you get a better understanding of what's out there, what you've done, what you want to do, and how to use the program to get where you want to be.  

Several people have previously posted this article in this forum; http://chrisblattman.com/2013/10/04/what-ma-mpa-or-mia-program-is-for-you/;  I think it's pretty accurate reasoning.  Basically the author (who is a professor at Columbia SIPA) argues that how elite your program is can matter a lot if you have only a modest background in the subject area or you're aiming for a job with a major organization in Washington or New York. If your goals are more modest, or you have a lot of professional experience, he argues, how elite your program is may not matter as much.  Also, he notes that the further you get away from grad school, the less it matters what kind of program you went to, but then again those first few years when it does matter can be critical in setting you on a particular path to where you want to be.  

An elite program may jump start your career and push you further, faster. But that doesn't mean you can't have a satisfying career with an MPA from a less elite program.  The biggest X factor is honestly less the school you attend and more how much planning and preparation you do so you're in the best position to take advantage of the program you choose. 

One thing to consider also is trying to add some volunteer experience to your resume, while you're working and applying.  Getting a little more familiarity with the field you're interested in may help you build contacts, clarify your expectations, and position you to get the most out of your program. 

Thanks for the info. I am not looking for or expecting to get a high paying job right out of the gate. I am more looking at MPA/MPP programs as a way to get my foot in the door and help me to launch a career in public service since.

Not sure how that relates to what we posted? But you should really read the Blattman article, it's instructive.