Aspiring post-baccalaureate return student

For the past few days ive been stalking this forum, its been a source of wonderful information & insight into a field i fell in love with in 2005. I graduated with my BA in Communicatiins/broadcast journalism, my goal being the next great female sports broadcaster! Things happened in life, so i took a whole different career route. I took the CBEST & began substitute teaching in reg/spec ed, which in a special ed class i witnessed students receiving speech therapy & i became intrigued. I immediately spoke w/ speech dept head & i began a waiver program, which allowed me to practice speech services full-time while taking leveling courses twds a masters program. I had a young child at time & my mind wasnt 100% focused on the program. That was the 2007-2008 school year & after subbing some more, conducting behavior therapy interventions & currently providing 1:1 assistance for severely disabled student ... I am ready to return & give 110%!!!

So here's my situation ... I need to keep my full-time job! Ive been researching on campus programs like Chapman & online programs like Utah State. Im so confused as to what program would be best, what sacrifices Im willing to make as a single mom, what if i choose a program & courses arent accepted by the masters program ive yet to decide on...??? Im eager to start applying ... please help!

BTW, im no spring chicken ... im changing careers late in my life!

Edited by ginchrst

Chapman seems like the best Postbac for working students since it is night and weekend education only.

Online programs are good, and some on these boards like them, but I have heard some complaints, mainly the lack of support from faculty.

I, personally, loved my online program (Utah State) and felt like the faculty was extremely available and supportive.  I'm not sure how other online programs compare.  Just remember that if you choose to go the online route, you must be EXTREMELY self-disciplined to make sure you complete assignments and lectures in a timely manner.  

As long as you go to an accredited school for your post-bacc, your courses will count.  That shouldn't be a huge factor in your decision.  You mainly need to decide how YOU learn best and what will fit your schedule - then, go from there.  Good luck!

Yes, in order to get financial aid, you have to apply for second bachelors. Just taking by prerequisite classes, schools do not provide financial aid. That was the reason for a lot of people switch to second bachelors even though they start as non degree seeking students.

I am also a Utah State online second bachelors student. I will graduate in May. I would highly recommend it. Prof are very nice and helpful. It is tough at times, I admit you will need to study A LOT! However at the end, you will feel confident that you know a lot about the field.

I think you need to first assess your learning style and your life situation. For example, are you someone who prefers to study the concepts on your own? Or do you prefer to attend a class and get feedback immediately during class discussions from the professor or work in groups to finish homework with your classmates?

In terms of your daily schedule, are you available to attend day classes and will you be able to accommodate your other obligations at home or school? If you attend online, you have the option of watching the lectures in your own time.

Are you more hands on, visual or auditory learner?  The advantage with online learning is the playback of videos. Some on campus classes do not allow students to record lectures. Also as an online student who is a hands on learner, I struggled a bit especially when I was learning the protocols for some assessment techniques. Thankfully, I was able to get in touch with an SLP who took me in and showed me how certain procedures are done to get a visual. There are also Youtube videos but it's not comparable to magic of watching a real live session to show you how an assessment/therapy is performed. On the other hand, if you do enrol in an on-campus, you will have immediate access to clients/mentors and observation hours. 

Finally, I want to advise that there are schools that do not accept online courses. CSU Chico for example does not according to one of my classmates who took the USU program a few years ago. Since online courses are very recent, there is an underlying view that online students do not have the "soft skills" that are necessary to be a well-rounded clinician. I disagree in the same way that I disagree with how some employers/faculty feel that introverts should not work in the field. Everyone will be completing their externships anyways. I think that it all comes down to confidence and your ability to provide rationale for why your treatment choices will make a difference in the lives of your patients. We will always be learning and applying the same theories/skills that we gathered from our mentors and past experiences to mold our own clinical bedside identities.

Edited by Articklish