Reapplying for 2015?

gradbio2015

Hi all! I applied to biostatistics programs last year, and got into a few.  I ended up enrolling at a PhD program that gave me funding and turned down other offers.  However, since starting, I feel like going to this specific program was a mistake, as the department is not a good fit for me socially, and the city is also not a good fit, and I cannot imagine being here for two years let alone five.  Does anyone have any stories about being in this predicament?

Also, I was thinking of applying to 1 or 2 masters' programs this fall.  Do you think I should completely re-tool my application?  I was admitted to the programs I would like to reapply for last application season--could I get two of my professors to send in the exact same letter of recommendation they did last year?

There's no need to "re-tool", per se, though you will certainly want to explain why you are leaving a PhD program after one year. If you know your letter writers well enough to discuss this with them, I would suggest that you ask them to add a sentence or two mentioning that your desire to switch doesn't reflect "flakiness" or lack of focus, and that they think you will be successful/happy in the right environment. Other than that, recycling the same letter content should be fine.

Sorry to hear the first year isn't going very well. It's definitely better to find a place you like rather than spend 5 years being miserable. That said, you've only been there for a month or two. A lot of people have trouble adjusting to a completely new environment. Maybe if you have an open mind for the next couple of months things will get better.

I think it will be hard to articulate your reasons for transferring to a different program. Saying it wasn't a good fit is pretty vague. If you had the opportunity to visit the department prior to enrolling, you were in a good position to gauge whether it was right for you. And you also had a chance to see the city, if for only a day or two. So they might not be 100% confident that you will like it at their department either.

I am sure the faculty will be disappointed that you are leaving, and you can expect some awkward conversations. I know a lot of second-tier departments only take in 5-10 PhD students per year, and it's not good for the department to have funded students come for a year and then leave without a degree.

It is not uncommon for people to leave one program to another, I have seen this multiple times.  In one instance, a student at the end of the second year (after passing the qualifying exams!) decided that the department wasn't good enough for him and so he contacted a professor at another school and he was admitted there with very little effort.  I don't know if he had to redo the qualifying exams again or not.

Seems a bit dishonest to me - enrolling in a program, accepting two years worth of funding, and then upgrading to a higher ranked school.

It's only dishonest if you enroll with no intention of sticking around. It sounds like that's not the case for the OP.