Contacting Professors of Interest

b c

I have 6 graduate schools that I'm looking at applying to, and will soon be contacting professors to ask a few questions, and see if they're taking any MSc students for Autumn 2015. Now, let's say I have 2 POIs for each school, making 12 in total. Is it standard practice to contact all 12 profs and try to say something intelligent about their research? I feel that since I'm changing fields a bit from my undergrad major, I won't have enough time to familiarize myself with each prof's research and will most likely sound superficial, so would it be better then to just make no contact at all and hope for the best at admission time? Currently I plan on only contacting maybe 4-5 professors in total and was wondering if this would put me at a disadvantage. Finally, is it generally ill advised to contact professors from top 10 institutions (e.g. MIT and Stanford), as they will most likely have an over-abundance of grads contacting them, or is it still okay (I'm petrified that I'll destroy my chances by making a stupid etiquette mistake when contacting profs, this is honestly the scariest part of the application for me)?

Edited by b c

I was pretty scared, too, but after I did it and got a few replies I was relieved and happy! Just have someone look it over for mistakes to make you feel more confident. It was a worthwhile thing for me to do because I learned about two retiring professors. And I also got a few positive comments about my CV, even from a PhD program that typically doesn't take students straight from undergrad (also a switch in fields for me in that case).

That said, you make a good point about not having the time to learn about all new research. Try starting with someone whose work you feel that you know the best. And I mainly only emailed one professor per program. I only contacted a second if the first never responded or if the first wasn't taking students. I also only contacted programs with the strongest match... I think my top 6 out of 10.

If you really don't feel comfortable, it's okay not to contact them. But keep an eye out for programs that encourage it on their website, just in case!

I also have written to 4 professors by now but got reply by only one. I am at a loss to understand on how to approach professors with request to study under them.

I start by providing my introduction and the work done by me till now and then with the offer.I also attach my resume. Am I doing something wrong??

Please tell me

Thanks

I have 6 graduate schools that I'm looking at applying to, and will soon be contacting professors to ask a few questions, and see if they're taking any MSc students for Autumn 2015. Now, let's say I have 2 POIs for each school, making 12 in total. Is it standard practice to contact all 12 profs and try to say something intelligent about their research? I feel that since I'm changing fields a bit from my undergrad major, I won't have enough time to familiarize myself with each prof's research and will most likely sound superficial, so would it be better then to just make no contact at all and hope for the best at admission time? Currently I plan on only contacting maybe 4-5 professors in total and was wondering if this would put me at a disadvantage. Finally, is it generally ill advised to contact professors from top 10 institutions (e.g. MIT and Stanford), as they will most likely have an over-abundance of grads contacting them, or is it still okay (I'm petrified that I'll destroy my chances by making a stupid etiquette mistake when contacting profs, this is honestly the scariest part of the application for me)?

Professors receive a ton of email every day, have meetings and committee work all long, and are just generally busy people.  Some profs even teach at more than one institution.

First and foremost be sure to find out if it is even necessary to contact profs/POIs.  At the Master's level it is not as important, however some Master's programs do require, or suggest in the least, that applicants contact a faculty member prior to or during the application process.  The general advice I have come across suggests to only contact professors (for Master's programs) if you have to (that is, it is required by the program) and to proceed with caution if it is optional.

I don't think area-of-interests fit is as crucial for a Master's program as it is for Ph.D., but as always you need to check with the specific programs to be sure.  You definitely do not want to sound superficial, which can be avoided as long as you sound professional no matter how much of a n00b you may be to the prof's work/interests.  

If the Master's program is one that requires potential applicants to contact professors than those professors more-than-likely will know that contacting them is a part of the application process at the school and you are just looking for someone to sign off on your application and not someone to fund you for five years.  Unlike a Ph.D. program where an applicant is applying to a specific program based on research interests/fit, applicants to Master's programs are generally applying to the program as whole and not to work in a specific lab or under a specific prof.  

In your initial contact email open with who you are and why you are contacting that person, follow with a brief mention of your past courses/experiences that have led you pursue graduate school in this area, and close by asking if they would be willing to continue this conversation.    Or something like that.  

With that, I would avoid contacting profs at programs where doing so is not a requirement.  

Edited by Crucial BBQ

It means that they are quite busy or they might not have a position or they might not be interested in your profile. I have mailed to few profs till now and sometimes got replies after 2 weeks or after sending a remainder email too.   

But what does it signify when they don't reply back! It's not as if I'm asking them to pay for me,but atleast they could direct me??!

Some professors are very busy or just are bad at answering their emails. It's the time of midterms right now so everyone is busy, but also a lot of professors just dislike talking via email and ignore their emails. You could try talking to some graduate students in the department instead or talking to the department's secretary or the director of the program you're interested in.

I also have written to 4 professors by now but got reply by only one. I am at a loss to understand on how to approach professors with request to study under them.

I start by providing my introduction and the work done by me till now and then with the offer.I also attach my resume. Am I doing something wrong??

Please tell me

Thanks

Maybe you are being too direct "asking to study under them". Try writing something like "I was wondering if you are considering taking students for the Fall 2015".