How much "I" is TMI in a personal statement?

Hi all,

So I had to withdraw from classes for a semester because I got really physically sick. Honestly, it was no big deal in the end, but I just wanted to use a sentence to discuss my semester of W's on my transcript and show that even though this happened, I still graduated on time ("strong work ethic" and all that) and still did really well academically. Just wondering how vague or specific I should be about the nature of my illness. 

Just "sick" could be anything, I feel like. It could have been a mental illness, and even though I actually do struggle with depression, this has nothing to do with that and outside of my counselor no one knows I am depressed. I also don't want to gross people out, or have them be like "why is she sharing so much information with me?" Also don't want to turn it into a sob story.

Right now this is how I have it in my statement:

"I became sick due to a growth in my abdominal cavity that required surgery and had to withdraw from my classes; I recovered by the following summer and took more classes related to my major per semester than I would have otherwise in order to graduate within four years of matriculation"

I think i would be less specific than what you have above. I get what you mean about mental illness and wanting to make it clear that it isnt related to that...

I think I would just stick with saying that you needed surgery and had to recover from it. That makes it clear that you arent discussing mental illness without giving too much detail.

Took everyone's advice and changed it! Sorry if I made anyone uncomfortable hehe. Real story is much more gruesome :)

I was totally fine with your original version. I didn't think it was TMI at all, but maybe it's a cultural thing since I'm not American. Or an age thing, since when you get older you get used to gruesome health details. Anyway, I agree with everyone that just mentioning the surgery should be totally fine. I'm glad you're ok now! :)