Programs for human-animal relationships w/ focus on culturally-situated ethics, value?

Ilikekitties

Hi all! I posted a similar post on here a while ago, and now I'm pretty certain that I want to move away from food and study multi-species ethnography. My current research proposal is about studying culturally-situated human-animal relationships in Costa Rica, which may include framework in intersubjectivity, intrinsic and extrinsic value, and anthropocentrism.

Some programs that were suggested to me by a former undergraduate student at my institution were:

Arizona

British Columbia

Santa Cruz

Toledo

Washington

I've seen that one professor at Virginia deals with animals in a social way and one at Columbia does as well. In my experience it's more common to find faculty who study animals in the bioarch sense.

My GPA is pretty good (anthro and Spanish double major) and I have not taken the GRE yet. I'm not expecting to do above average, though, so some departments that don't really care about the GRE would be ideal.

Funding is important - if I don't get funding, then I can't go. I will be applying for both Masters and PhD programs.

I will be applying in the fall of 2015 and graduating in the spring of 2016.

I do have research experience.

I am currently an undergrad at UofT and I know that Professors Dave and Cunningham are both very interested in human/animal relationships, and I have also had them both as profs and they are awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

It's not always for everyone, but many interdisciplinary and media studies/critical theory departments will have people interested in these topics. I would just follow the scholars...see where people you like are teaching, etc.

Laura Ogden and two of her students recently published a review article on multispecies ethnography that might be worth checking out to see who is doing work in this area. (She's at Dartmouth now so no graduate program.) The citation is below. Let me know if you don't have access as I have the article saved.

Ogden, L.A., W. Hall, K. Tanita. 2013. Animals, Plants and People: A Review of Multispecies Ethnography. Environment & Society 4: 5-24. DOI: 10.3167/ares.2013.040102

• 5 months later...