"Awaiting materials" - is my application OK?

DF394

Hi guys! I'm an international applicant, but from an English-speaking country, which means my schools don't require me to submit English proficiency scores. I just left the TOEFL/IELTS sections of the application forms blank. I'm pretty sure that was the right thing to do - I know some schools have an option on the form to notify them why you don't have to submit scores, but that wasn't the case for any of my applications.

My problem is that two of my schools are still showing my application status as "awaiting materials". The checklists show that the TOEFL scores are the only materials they're referring to. I know it takes a while for the administrators to go through and fix up everyone's test scores, but it's getting to be a long while after the respective deadlines (December 15 and January 1) and there hasn't been any change. I emailed both schools' admissions offices but haven't got a reply.

So, someone help a stressed-out applicant! This is fine, right? I don't really think it's an issue, but I'm a little worried my applications haven't been forwarded to the departments because of an administrative issue.

I'd bet it's not an issue. And since you've already e-mailed there's not much else you can do unless you try phone calls. If you have been in contact with a POI, I might e-mail them, or the Department's Grad Coordinator, to ask what's up.

One of my applications is in limbo like this now too and it's driving me nuts. I emailed Grad Admissions to no resolution. Then I emailed the Department, who told me to email Grad Admissions. I waited a few days to see if it would resolve, then when it didn't resolve, I let the Department know what the GA Office's response was (yes, you have submitted the right materials, but we haven't updated our system to reflect that yet). The person at the Department said they'd make sure my application materials were properly forwarded to the Dept in time for their first meeting to review applications. 

But the website STILL shows me as missing or incomplete materials. It's driving me a little bonkers. 

Hold the phone! Literally 5 minutes after I posted this, an email came back from one of the schools saying they've manually waived the requirement for me. I guess I'll have to write to the other school again.

The materials management systems are really a pain. It must drive the admissions officers crazy too, getting desperate emails from dozens of people because Applyweb etc can't handle things automatically. In the case of TOEFL scores, literally every applicant from Australia, New Zealand and the UK must be having this problem. It could be solved easily if Applyweb just looked at the country of your undergraduate school and waived the TOEFL requirement accordingly.

Word.

But it's an ancient history program, not a compsci program,... right?  ...Joking - I'm sure it's a school-wide system. Would be a good fix. Maybe the departments all keep their mouths shut about it/don't have time to "complain" to the IT office about the fixable nuisance... 

Sorry for your troubles! 

I have a similar issue.

I'm an international student who goes to college in the States, so I don't need to submit proof of English proficiency. Most universities I'm applying to have provisioned for this situation and provided clear instructions on how to waive the TOEFL requirement. One university's application form, however, simply asked me to input a specific TOEFL test date and a score of zero to indicate I meet their requirements for a waiver.

So now my application is listed as incomplete, because of missing scores, and the website claims it won't be reviewed until all my materials are turned in.

I guess they're supposed to take care of this on their own, given the way they've set up the application software, but what if they don't! I feel like I need to email them to inform them of my situation.

Ugh, but I hate sending stupid emails.

Edited by L13

I guess they're supposed to take care of this on their own, given the way they've set up the application software, but what if they don't! I feel like I need to email them to inform them of my situation.

Ugh, but I hate sending stupid emails.

It's frustrating, but they'll take care of it. Send a calmly worded e-mail just to be sure, but it should be alright. You can't be the first student for whom this has been a concern.