Financial offer that only covers cost of in state tuition for the first year?

esotericish

I received a financial offer from a UC school that only covers the cost of instate tuition for the first year, meaning I would have to pay the difference until I can establish California residency. Is this really possible? I mean, how can people accept this? The remaining years seem pretty well funded, all things considered, but how do they expect people to live on less than $5k for a year?

I received a financial offer from a UC school that only covers the cost of instate tuition for the first year, meaning I would have to pay the difference until I can establish California residency. Is this really possible? I mean, how can people accept this? The remaining years seem pretty well funded, all things considered, but how do they expect people to live on less than $5k for a year?

It takes less than a year to establish residency.  

My school only covers in-state tuition the first year, but I'm also considered in-state for the first year. It's weird wording which basically means full tuition is paid. The only requirement is that I establish residency before my second year.

Did you check the graduate department's webpage? I think that's where I had to look to figure out that I wouldn't have to pay the balance.

In California, it takes exactly 1 year to gain in-state status so this type of offer is normal. But make sure you are going to be able to do so! (e.g. international students can never attain residency, and you must stay the whole year!)