Fall 2015 Admits University of Pittsburgh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/1/2015 at 9:06 AM, justwannagetin said:

Hi Everyone!

I also was accepted to Pitt (advance standing-COSA) and received a generous amount of funding. Still not sure if I want to attend. I only applied here and one other school, because I do want to spend big $$$ on my MSW. I did visit the school about 2 weeks ago. I think the staff and students were very friendly, knowledgeable, and passionate (very important to me). They were also very personable. In fact, everyone in the area was very friendly and inviting (as a NYer, this was so different for me, but I liked it lol).

What I like about Pitt:

Low cost of living

Friendly atmosphere

Public transportation is FREE for students

Cathedral of Learning is absolutely beautiful!.... where I think most or all of our classes will be

Career Center specifically for SW program

Program seems flexible enough that you can 1. customize it to meet your specific interest/ needs 2. work part-time (super important!)

Center for Race and Social Problems....this is my ultimate interest. I personally would not want to go to any MSW program that wasn't focused on tackling core issues and working "with" our clients versus working "for" our clients....you figure out the difference.

If I have to be super honest and a little shallow (we all are). I just don't know enough about Pitt. I know it ranks fairly well (#11) but that's it. I'm not sure about its reputation and if I will be able to be taken seriously once I leave Pitt and travel to other states.

Anyone else have the same issue or other concerns? What do you guys know about the Pitt?

Thank you so much for this info! It was really helpful.

I haven't received my scholarship info yet (they said I would receive it by 2/15). As long as I get a good scholarship, it will probably be the most financially viable option for me. But I am in love with WashU in St. Louis so it's going to have some competition. I hope to visit Pittsburgh so I can see what I think of it for myself.

On 2/25/2015 at 1:56 PM, Psycholicious_2015 said:

@ceapa421: Congrats to you too :), ummm..still deciding between others schools, actually awaiting scholarship decision as i haven't received an official mail as of yet. What about you?...I have also applied to couple of MFT programs relying on SDSU Ms in counselling with concentration on marriage and family therapy. Actually would like you to enlighten me regarding which is more employable MSW or MFT?

@tlove11: Actually I have applied to only university of pitt for MSW, can you tell me some more good schools which have deadline remaining, and actually i didnt applied to penn and u of michigan due to financial constraints, fees is too high :(

@hla003: If you don't mind can you tell me what was your scholarship amount? and did you receive decision regarding scholarship in your official packet or on portal decision itself? Even i am interested the clinical route and would love to know more about the school, how is the faculty and curriculum and internship scenario. I desperately want funding, but i dunno if il get one or not because i applied 3 days after priority deadline and my GPA is 3.67. 

From what I've heard, MSW is more nationally respected and MFT is more accepted in certain parts of the country (West Coast). I think you could do well with either, but I would probably go for the MSW.

On 2015. 2. 26. at 9:17 PM, tlove11 said:

Yeah I received $8,000 per semester! I'm just wondering if they also have need based scholarships. I know they have a integrated mental health stipend for $18,000 but I'm interested in Child Welfare :( !

Hi, @tlove11,

I've been accepted to UPitt MSW program this  year, and I'm in dire need of large amount of scholarship. I noticed that you received $8000 per semester, and I wonder if it depends a lot on gpa. Do you mind sharing the gpa you applied with? I just want to reference it and see how much I can expect to receive.

Thanks!