The PhD Waiting Game...

rojodo

It's tough :( After emailing Mr. Fooks at UCLA on Tuesday, I'm barely resisting the urge to email the chair to ask for more info. In the meantime I'm just keeping my fingers crossed (for both of us!) and hoping to hear back soon.

The struggle is real. 

I'm still waiting on two.  One wasn't due until late January so it's to be expected but December 1st?  That seems ridiculous.  There's an irrational part of me that thinks I'll jinx it if I get in touch with them to find out where they are in the process.   

I'm just so happy to read these, I feel a sense of solidarity with all of you!

I contact Mr. Fooks as well yesterday evening but haven't heard anything

The struggle is real. 

I'm still waiting on two.  One wasn't due until late January so it's to be expected but December 1st?  That seems ridiculous.  There's an irrational part of me that thinks I'll jinx it if I get in touch with them to find out where they are in the process.   

Also I think that contacting them is totally appropriate and shows that you're very much interested in their program!!

Hi everyone - I'm happy to see this thread. I am also waiting on Columbia. They said results will be given out in March.

I am wait listed by BC. Anyone have any idea how big their waitlist pool is? I also noticed the two BC interviews posted in results section were removed. If you are not going please let them know!!! Thanks.

Hope we all hear good news sooooon!

I got an email today from the chair of doctoral studies that she wants to talk to me Monday morning. I don't know how to interpret this. She said she wanted to update me on my application and the review process, so idk. I guess I'm very happy I'll have a better idea of what's up soon.... Fingers crossed!!

I called BU after seeing results posted at Gradcafe. The admission staff told me "my application has been reviewed and will continue to be reviewed", and refused to comment on what affect the differences on time frame. What does that mean? What should I do at this point? Anyone is going through the same thing?

I refuse to let another Social Work PhD thread die out so I'm going to try to keep this one going! 

Has anyone heard anything this week?  I'm supposed to hear this week and I got my tax refund today so I'll either throw myself an expensive pitty party or an expensive celebratory bash this weekend.

I refuse to let another Social Work PhD thread die out so I'm going to try to keep this one going! 

Has anyone heard anything this week?  I'm supposed to hear this week and I got my tax refund today so I'll either throw myself an expensive pitty party or an expensive celebratory bash this weekend.

hey- what schools are you waiting on? If you don't mind me asking.

Programs are very odd about timelines. The first program I heard back from is the last application I submitted, and I heard back at the end of January (accepted). I heard back from the second one shortly thereafter, and its app was due around the same time (accepted). I heard back from the one that was due December 1 in mid-February (rejected, unsurprising, since my app was late). Still haven't heard back from the last one, and according to GradCafe results searches from previous years, most people hear from them at the end of February. Either way, I've already accepted an offer.

Hi all -

Just received an acceptance to the Social Work PhD program at Rutgers. Not sure if anyone else in here applied, but wanted to let you know in case you are waiting! It was a personal email from the director, and my application status still says "no decision".

I am elated!

I am still waiting to hear back from CUNY, Columbia, NYU and Rutgers PhD in SW...anybody hear from any of them?

Probably not a good sign for me that Rutgers sent out acceptances. Congrats to Cje1220 though:)

hey- what schools are you waiting on? If you don't mind me asking.

I'm still waiting on SUNY Albany and UW Madison.  I was accepted at UIC.  Madison said they will make final decisions this week... they already sent out some acceptances and some rejections a few weeks ago so I'm not sure what to make of that.  Hopefully they'll let me know tomorrow so I don't have to wait another week. 

I was accepted into UCLA's MSW/PhD program on Monday!

Congrats! That's wonderful news. Did you find out via phone or email? I haven't heard anything yet from UCLA's PhD program, so I'm trying to assess the likelihood that I was either rejected or waitlisted. I'm assuming they make decisions for MSW/PhD at the same time as the regular PhD program...

I am still waiting to hear back from CUNY, Columbia, NYU and Rutgers PhD in SW...anybody hear from any of them?

Probably not a good sign for me that Rutgers sent out acceptances. Congrats to Cje1220 though:)

Columbia will be giving out results within one week. I called NYU last week and was told they will give out results in late March. 

swphdeastcoast -

Thank you! I wouldn't be too worried though about Rutgers... It seems like the past few years the results have been quite sporadic. Last year someone heard on Valentine's day and then others heard in late March/April. Let me know how it all pans out and best of luck with all your schools!

What I've heard is that the reason applicants hear back at different times is that some schools use two rounds of decisions, rather than wait listing straight off.  They make offers to their best fit or most desired candidates in January or early February (rejecting the folks they know they don't want), wait a few weeks to hear back from the students they offered to, and then make second round offers in March based on the yield from the first round.