The PhD Waiting Game...

rojodo

What I've heard is that the reason applicants hear back at different times is that some schools use two rounds of decisions, rather than wait listing straight off.  They make offers to their best fit or most desired candidates in January or early February (rejecting the folks they know they don't want), wait a few weeks to hear back from the students they offered to, and then make second round offers in March based on the yield from the first round.

I talked to the admissions person at UCLA and I know that this is true. For some reason Berkeley is not having a waitlist this year though, idk why?

I'm not sure about Berkeley. Maybe they were super confident about their yield? Some schools have a higher yield than others because of reputation or funding. Some schools with a great reputation have poor yield because of poor funding or high cost of living and tuition. As one director told me, "It's all about the yield."

Hi Everyone!

I finally just created an account so that I can reply.  I've also been waiting...lots of fun.  I applied to BU, BC, Simmons, UCLA and the Social Policy PhD at Brandeis.  So far I've heard the following: admitted to Brandeis with a generous stipend, waitlisted at BC without an interview, interviewed at BU with no final word, rejected at UCLA and nothing from Simmons.  I contacted BU recently and they said they are still deciding.

Hi Everyone!

I finally just created an account so that I can reply.  I've also been waiting...lots of fun.  I applied to BU, BC, Simmons, UCLA and the Social Policy PhD at Brandeis.  So far I've heard the following: admitted to Brandeis with a generous stipend, waitlisted at BC without an interview, interviewed at BU with no final word, rejected at UCLA and nothing from Simmons.  I contacted BU recently and they said they are still deciding.

Hey - Congratulations on the admission to Brandeis! I am also waitlisted at BC and presumably waitlisted at BU. So far I have no admission so I hope to hear something back soon!

I agree with everyone, the waiting is brutal... I was feeling hopeful that this week I would hear back from one of my final schools (Pittsburgh), and I did however the news was now I am on the wait list.... so more waiting!!  Anyone else waiting on a wait list, and any experience or words of wisdom or perhaps even optimism for those of us who are in this predicament?

Thank-you all!

Hang in there Val006, being wait listed is no fun but I doubt they wait list many people and the people Pitt does accept off the bat aren't all going to take it. Pittsburgh is a great school and city, i hope you get in. 

Good luck to everyone...

Hang in there Val006, being wait listed is no fun but I doubt they wait list many people and the people Pitt does accept off the bat aren't all going to take it. Pittsburgh is a great school and city, i hope you get in. 

Good luck to everyone...

Ditto that.